Watermelon is a hydrating fruit, as it consists mostly of water (over 90%), which makes it perfect for the summer. To date, watermelon has been viewed as a delicious snack choice or complimenting your breakfast. To make it more interesting, you can prepare watermelon juice that is refreshing and equally nutritious! The benefits of watermelon juice are related to its possible antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and vasodilatory properties of watermelon. Let us learn how watermelon nutrition helps you, how to get watermelon juice benefits while adding it to your diet, the advantages of watermelon juice, and more!
What is a Watermelon Juice?
Watermelon juice is a refreshing beverage made by extracting the liquid or juice from ripe watermelons. It’s a refreshing and naturally sweet drink that can be made in various ways, by blending or juicing ripe watermelon fruit and adding other ingredients to it. It is one of the best fruits for diabetic patients, and watermelon juice benefits diabetic patients in several ways while also contributing to a reduced risk of heart-related problems.
How Does Watermelon Juice Taste?
Watermelon juice has a sweet, refreshing and floral taste. The juice has a watery consistency and offers a grainy texture. The exact taste of watermelon juice can vary depending on the ripeness of the watermelon and the type of watermelon used. You must be familiar with the advantages of watermelon juice, as an addition to mocktails with a flavour of mint and lemon juice, this is one of the best uses of watermelon juice.
Watermelon juice benefits individuals aiming to lose weight, due to its low-calorie content compared to many other fruit juices; is a good source of essential vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin A, and due to its high water content, it is an excellent way to stay hydrated, especially during hot weather or after physical activity.
Nutritional Value of Watermelon Juice
Before we understand the benefits of watermelon juice, let us look over the nutritional value of watermelon juice;
|Serving Size||100 ml (homemade)|
16 Advantages of Watermelon Juice
Watermelon juice is a healthy and refreshing beverage that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and it may offer a number of health benefits, such as improved hydration, workout performance, heart health, and skin health. Here are a few benefits of watermelon juice;
- Boost Immunity
- High in Lycopene
- Helps boost Energy And Metabolism
- High in Nutrients
- Great for vision
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress
- Rich in Antioxidants
- Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Reduces Risks of Cancer
- Good For Heart Health
- Naturally Sweet Hydration
- Soothes Your Skin
- Good for kidney stones
- Natural detoxification
- It helps you hydrate
- Prevents indigestion
1. Boost immunity
To have a healthy immune system, your body requires vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, iron, and protein (including the amino acid glutamine). The advantages of watermelon juice include supporting immunity as it contains vitamin C, which helps the body produce white blood cells, to fight off infections. It has citrulline, an amino acid that is converted to nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide helps to improve blood flow and oxygen delivery to the immune system cells. This can help to improve the immune system’s response to infection. To sum up, here’s how the benefits of watermelon juice help you build a healthy immune system;
- It helps the body fight off infections
- Enhances blood flow, which ultimately helps the body to heal
- Lowers blood pressure and supports the nervous system
2. High in Lycopene
Watermelon rich in Lycopene is one of the many advantages of watermelon juice. Lycopene is an antioxidant that helps the body fight off free radicals (free radicals can damage cells and contribute to chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease). A single cup of watermelon contains about 12 milligrams of lycopene. The recommended daily intake of lycopene is 10-15 milligrams for men and 5-8 milligrams for women. Here’s how Lycopene helps you and is considered one of the essential advantages of watermelon juice;
- Lycopene prevents the risk of chronic diseases
- Helps in reducing cholesterol levels and blood pressure
- Lycopene is good for human eyesight
3. Helps Boost Energy And Metabolism
Metabolism is the mechanism through which the body converts the food and beverages energy, to fuel various bodily functions. Hence, metabolism and energy levels are discussed altogether in this section.
Consuming watermelon juice benefits in boosting our energy and metabolism in direct and indirect ways. Firstly, it helps the body to stay hydrated for a longer time, which prevents fatigue and low blood pressure. It is rich in several vitamins which help the body in functions like digestion, muscle function and more. The vitamins and minerals include vitamins A, and C, an amino acid called citrulline, which helps to improve energy production and reduce fatigue. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice benefits in boosting energy levels and metabolism;
- Watermelon juice enhances digestion, one essential stage/part of metabolism
- It helps the body to stay hydrated for longer, which prevents fatigue
- Maintain healthy blood circulation
- Contains natural sugars, such as fructose and glucose that are essential for energy
4. High in Nutrients
One of the advantages of watermelon juice is that it is packed with nutrients, and the three most important of them among other nutrients present in watermelon juice are Lycopene, Citrulline, and Beta-carotene. These nutrients protect the body against chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease, improve blood flow and oxygen delivery to the muscles and support vision and immune functions. Adding a Healthy Food Chart, a set of exercises and better life choices along with watermelon juice may help for overall well-being.
5. Great for vision
Supporting a healthy vision is one of the amazing advantages of watermelon juice that you can get effortlessly from a glass of watermelon juice. It is rich in vitamin A, which helps the retina, the light-sensitive tissue at the back of the eye, to function properly. It also helps to produce rhodopsin, a protein that is necessary for night vision. Also, several studies have shown that eating watermelon may help to reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of blindness in older adults. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice benefits in supporting a healthy vision;
- Vitamin A content is beneficial for the eyes
- Reduces the risks of age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Protects the eyes from damage caused by free radicals
6. Reduces Risks of Cancer
Watermelon has been associated with a reduced risk of cancer due to its high content of antioxidants, including lycopene and vitamin C. This is one of the most discussed and well-known advantages of watermelon juice. These antioxidants help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, which can contribute to the development of cancer. Regular consumption of watermelon may offer potential protective effects against certain types of cancer, making it a valuable addition to a health-conscious diet. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice benefits and prevents cancer;
- Helps to regulate cell growth and differentiation, which prevents the development of cancer
- Reduces chronic inflammation which can contribute to the development of cancer
7. Reduce Inflammation and Oxidative Stress
Let us understand inflammation and oxidative stress first. In simple words, inflammation is a natural response of the body to injury or infection. Oxidative stress is a condition that occurs when there is an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in the body. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage cells. Antioxidants are substances that help to protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Watermelon juice benefits you by reducing both of these reactions since it has a number of compounds that have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These compounds include:
- Lycopene: A carotenoid that has been shown to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Citrulline: An amino acid that is converted to nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide helps to improve blood flow and reduce inflammation.
- Beta-carotene: A carotenoid that is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is important for immune function and cell repair.
8. Rich in Antioxidants
Watermelon is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that can help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. The presence of Antioxidants like lycopene is responsible for the red colour of watermelon. It is one of the most powerful antioxidants known and has been shown to have a number of health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart issues, cancer and eye-related disorders. In addition to these antioxidants, watermelon also contains other nutrients that are important for overall health, such as vitamins A and E, potassium, and magnesium. To sum up, the high content of watermelon juice benefits you by reducing the risk of chronic diseases like cancer, heart problems and eye-related disorders
9. Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Watermelon juice has anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to its rich content of antioxidants, including lycopene and vitamin C. These compounds have been shown to help combat inflammation within the body. Regular consumption of watermelon juice may aid in reducing the risk of chronic diseases and alleviating conditions associated with inflammation, making it a flavorful and nutritious choice for promoting overall health and well-being. To sum up, here’s how the inflammatory property of watermelon juice benefits you;
- Reduces the risk of chronic diseases
- Improves gut health
- Reduce muscle soreness
- Good for skin health
10. Good For Heart Health
Watermelon is beneficial for heart health as it contains several heart-friendly nutrients. It is rich in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems. Additionally, compounds like lycopene and citrulline in watermelon have been linked to improved heart health by promoting healthy blood vessel function and reducing inflammation. Including watermelon in your diet can contribute to a heart-healthy lifestyle. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice benefits your skin;
- Consuming watermelon juice is a great way to keep your skin hydrated
- Has vitamins A and C, which are both important for skin health
- The antioxidants in it can help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals
11. Naturally Sweet Hydration
Watermelon juice benefits you as it provides a naturally sweet hydration. This is one of the advantages of watermelon juice because it means that you can stay hydrated and get your daily dose of sweetness without having to add any sugar to your diet. You can save yourself from consuming processed sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth. This makes watermelon juice a perfect snack option for diabetic patients! To sum up, here’s how the naturally sweet hydration property of watermelon juice benefits you;
- Helps to improve your mood and reduce stress
- Saves you from consuming processed sugar
- Helps you stay hydrated
- Good for diabetic patients
12. Soothes Your Skin
Watermelon juice benefits and soothes your skin in several ways. Firstly, it reduces inflammation, which may lead to redness, swelling, and irritation of the skin. Secondly, it hydrates the skin, which is very important for the skin to glow naturally. Then the presence of antioxidants may help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. Watermelon juice contains malic acid, which is a natural alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). AHAs can help to exfoliate the skin by removing dead skin cells. This can reveal brighter, smoother, and more radiant skin. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice benefits and soothes your skin;
- Hydrates your skin to glow
- Reduces inflammation which often leads to redness, swelling and more
- The antioxidants protect the skin from free radicals
- Removes dead skin cells
13. Good for Kidney Stones
Watermelon juice benefits people having kidney stones and for others as well, by reducing the risk of kidney stones. It has a substance called citrate, which may help to prevent kidney stones from forming and can also help to break down existing kidney stones. Further, it is low in sodium, which is important for people with kidney stones. High sodium intake can increase the risk of developing kidney stones. It is also rich in potassium, which may help reduce the amount of calcium in the urine. Calcium is a major component of kidney stones. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice helps to prevent and control kidney stones;
- Prevent the formation of kidney stones in the first place
- The low potassium content helps to reduce the amount of calcium content in stones
- Has 92% water, which helps you hydrate for longer
14. Natural Detoxification
Watermelon juice benefits you as a natural detoxifier due to its high water content, which helps flush toxins from the body and keep the kidneys functioning optimally. Additionally, it contains antioxidants like lycopene and vitamin C, which may assist in reducing oxidative stress and supporting the body’s natural detoxification processes. Incorporating watermelon juice and a few homemade Detox Water Recipes into your diet can contribute to overall health and well-being. To sum up, here’s how the property watermelon juice benefits you;
- Helps you sweat more by keeping you hydrated
- Has electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium. Electrolytes help to regulate fluid balance in the body and support liver function.
15. It Helps You Hydrate
Watermelon juice is an excellent hydrating option due to its high water content, making it effective for maintaining proper hydration levels in the body, especially during hot weather or after physical activity. This is one of the most effective uses of watermelon juice.
16. Prevents Indigestion
Consuming Fiber Rich Foods like watermelon juice can help prevent indigestion, thanks to its natural enzymes, such as papain, which aid in digestion by breaking down proteins and easing the digestive process. Drinking watermelon juice can contribute to a more comfortable and smoother digestion experience. It also contains enzymes that can help to break down food and promote digestion. To sum up, here’s how watermelon juice benefits in conditions of indigestion;
- Provides a good amount of water, which is essential for treating indigestion
- Contains a small amount of fibre, which helps to keep the digestive system healthy and regular.
- Watermelon contains enzymes that can help to break down food and promote digestion.
Potential Uses of Watermelon Juice
The Advantages of watermelon juice are not just limited to health benefits. In this section, we shall explore several uses of watermelon juice, both in culinary and real-life applications. One of the most common uses of watermelon juice is in addition to mocktails. Here are some potential uses of watermelon juice:
- Beverage: Watermelon juice can be consumed as a refreshing and hydrating beverage on its own or added to smoothies, shakes, and cocktails.
- Culinary ingredient: Watermelon juice can be used as a culinary ingredient in a variety of dishes, such as soups, sauces, dressings, and marinades. It can also be used to make popsicles, sorbets, and other frozen treats.
- Cosmetics ingredient: Watermelon juice can be used as an ingredient in homemade cosmetics, such as face masks, scrubs, and hair treatments.
- Natural remedy: Watermelon juice has been used traditionally to treat a variety of conditions, including indigestion, kidney stones, and skin problems. However, more research is needed to confirm these uses.
Now that we have looked over the uses of watermelon juice, here are some specific examples of how watermelon juice can be used:
- Beverage: Add watermelon juice to your favourite smoothie recipe for a refreshing and nutritious boost.
- Culinary ingredient: This is one of the many uses of watermelon juice, to make a simple and flavorful vinaigrette dressing. Combine watermelon juice with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Skin Care: Make a hydrating face mask by mixing watermelon juice with honey and yoghurt. Apply the mask to your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Natural remedy: Drink a glass of watermelon juice after meals to help with digestion.
How To Add Watermelon To Your Diet?
Now that we have learned the benefits of watermelon juice, let us explore the ways through which you can add it to your diet to get the watermelon juice benefits! Here are a few interesting ways mentioned below;
- Plain Watermelon Juice
- Watermelon Smoothie
- Watermelon Ice Pops
- Watermelon Mocktail
- Watermelon Salad Dressing
Plain Watermelon Juice
Ingredients: Ripe watermelon, ice cubes (optional)
- Wash and cut the watermelon into slices and remove the seeds.
- Place the watermelon pieces in a blender, and blend until the watermelon is completely liquefied.
- Optionally, strain the juice through a fine mesh strainer to remove any remaining seeds.
Serve the fresh watermelon juice chilled over ice!
Ingredients: Ripe watermelon, yoghurt, honey (optional), ice cubes (optional)
- In the blender with the watermelon juice, add yoghurt (Greek yoghurt or plain yoghurt) for creaminess.
- Optionally, add honey for sweetness and ice cubes for a colder, thicker consistency.
- Blend until smooth.
Pour into a glass and serve immediately!
Watermelon Ice Pops
Ingredients: Ripe watermelon, sugar or honey (optional), ice pop moulds or small cups, popsicle sticks
- Prepare plain watermelon juice by blending the slices (without the seeds)
- If desired, sweeten the juice with sugar or honey to taste.
- Pour the watermelon juice into ice pop moulds or small cups.
- Insert popsicle sticks into each mould or cup.
- Freeze for several hours or until the popsicles are completely frozen.
Carefully remove the popsicles from the moulds or cups and enjoy!
Ingredients: Ripe watermelon, lime juice, mint leaves, soda water, sugar or honey (optional), and ice cubes
- Make watermelon juice by blending the slices (without the seeds)
- In a separate container, muddle some mint leaves with lime juice and sugar or honey if desired.
- Combine the mint-lime mixture with the watermelon juice.
- Pour the mixture into glasses filled with ice cubes.
- Top off with soda water for fizz.
Garnish with additional mint leaves and a slice of watermelon, if desired.
Watermelon Salad Dressing
Ingredients: Ripe watermelon, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper
- Prepare plain watermelon juice by blending the slices (without the seeds)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the watermelon juice to the dressing mixture.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle this refreshing watermelon dressing over your favourite salad just before serving.
Enjoy these delightful watermelon-based treats!
Side Effects of Watermelon Juice
There are several advantages of watermelon and it is generally safe for most people when consumed in moderation. However, there are a few potential side effects and considerations to keep in mind:
- Digestive Discomfort: Due to its high water content and fibre, excessive consumption of watermelon or watermelon juice can sometimes lead to digestive issues like bloating, diarrhoea, or an upset stomach. It’s best to enjoy it in reasonable amounts.
- Allergic Reactions: While rare, some individuals may be allergic to watermelon. Allergic reactions may include itching, swelling, hives, or even more severe symptoms like difficulty breathing. If you suspect an allergy, discontinue use and seek medical attention.
- FODMAPs: Watermelon contains some FODMAPs (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols), which can trigger digestive symptoms in individuals with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or other digestive sensitivities. If you have IBS, consult with a healthcare provider before consuming large amounts of watermelon.
- Blood Sugar: While watermelon has a relatively low glycemic index, it does contain natural sugars. If you have diabetes or need to manage blood sugar levels, monitor your intake and consider consulting a healthcare professional for guidance.
If you have specific health concerns or conditions, it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before making significant changes to your diet.
How to Select and Store Watermelons?
Selecting and storing watermelons properly ensures you get a ripe and delicious fruit. Here are steps and tips for choosing and storing watermelons:
Selecting a Watermelon:
- Check for a Uniform Shape: Choose a watermelon that has a uniform shape, whether it’s round or oval. Irregularities or bumps may indicate uneven ripening.
- Look for a Dull Skin: A ripe watermelon typically has a dull, matte appearance rather than a shiny one. Avoid overly shiny or waxed surfaces.
- Inspect the Field Spot: The field spot is the area of the watermelon that was resting on the ground while growing. It should have a creamy yellow or orange colour, indicating ripeness. A white or green field spot may suggest an underripe fruit.
- Tap It: Gently tap the watermelon with your knuckles. A ripe watermelon should produce a deep, hollow sound. A dull or flat sound may indicate it’s underripe.
- Check the Skin: Look for consistent colour and texture on the skin. Irregularities, soft spots, or bruises should be avoided.
Storing a Watermelon:
- At Room Temperature: If your watermelon is not yet ripe, you can leave it at room temperature to ripen further. This can take a few days to a week.
- Refrigeration: Once your watermelon is ripe or if you want to keep it fresh for longer, store it in the refrigerator. Place it in the crisper drawer, where it can stay fresh for up to two weeks.
- Keep It Whole: It’s best to keep the watermelon whole until you’re ready to eat it. Once cut, the fruit should be consumed or wrapped tightly and refrigerated for a few days.
- Wrap It: If you’ve cut a portion and want to store the rest, cover the exposed flesh with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out and absorbing unwanted odours in the fridge.
Remember that ripe watermelons are heavy for their size, so choose one that feels substantial when you lift it. Following these selection and storage guidelines ensures that you get the best flavour and texture from your watermelon.
In Which season we should watermelon watermelon juice?
You can enjoy watermelon and watermelon juice during the summertime because that’s when watermelons are in season. They are at their ripest and tastiest during hot weather.
Can I have watermelon juice every day?
Yes, you can have and get advantages of watermelon juice every day if you like it. It’s a healthy choice because it’s low in calories and has many nutrients. Just remember to enjoy it as part of a balanced diet.
Why is watermelon juice good for you?
There are plenty of advantages of watermelon juice, it is good for you because it’s a hydrating and nutritious drink. It has vitamins and antioxidants that can help protect your body and keep you healthy.
What are the benefits of watermelon juice?
There are many health benefits and advantages of watermelon juice. It helps keep you hydrated, provides vitamins, and has antioxidants that may lower the risk of certain diseases. It also tastes delicious!
Does watermelon juice burn belly fat?
While watermelon juice is healthy, it doesn’t directly burn belly fat. Weight loss comes from a combination of a balanced diet and exercise.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of watermelons?
Advantages of Watermelon Juice: Watermelons are hydrating, low in calories, and packed with vitamins and minerals. They taste great and are perfect for hot weather.
Disadvantages: They have natural sugars, so you should enjoy them in moderation if you’re watching your sugar intake.
Can children also have watermelon juice?
Yes, children can have watermelon juice. It’s a healthy and tasty option for kids. Just ensure it’s cut into a safe surrounding, and good quality watermelon is been used as younger children are more prone to illness. You can easily make this while ensuring the advantages of watermelon juice are served in a glass!
What are the benefits of watermelon juice for the skin?
Watermelon juice is good for the skin because it contains vitamins and antioxidants that may help keep your skin healthy and hydrated. It can give your skin a fresh and glowing appearance.
Are there any side effects of watermelon juice?
Watermelon juice is generally safe to drink. However, for some people, consuming large amounts might lead to digestive discomforts like bloating or diarrhoea due to its high water content.
What is the best way to have watermelon juice?
The best way to have watermelon juice is to blend fresh, ripe watermelon pieces in a blender until smooth. You can also add ice for extra refreshment or mix it with other fruits for flavour variations. Enjoy it cold for the best taste!