Cauliflower one of the staple edible in Indian recipes and across the world. Cauliflower is a versatile non-starchy vegetable, carbs in cauliflower are comparatively low. This cruciferous vegetable looks like a white version of its cousin, broccoli.
Such as broccoli, the tightly bunched florets of cauliflower are connected by a thick core, often with a few light leaves surrounding it. While white is the most common color, you’ll also find cauliflower in shades of green, purple, and orange. No matter the color, the taste is the same: slightly sweet, a little nutty, and mild.
Cauliflower originally came from the Mediterranean region, first in Europe around the end of the 15th century. It\’s a branch of a kind of wild cabbage that\’s also the ancestor of Brussel sprouts, kale, and kohlrabi. Cauliflower belongs to the Brassicaceae (or Mustard) family.
100g of chopped cauliflower nutritional information is shared below. One serving of raw or cooked cauliflower has:
- Calories- 25g
- Fats – 0g
- Carbs- 5g
- Dietary fiber- 2g
- Sugar- 2g
- Protein- 2g
- Sodium- 30mg
Cauliflower is also a good source of Calcium, Folate, omega-3 fatty acids,Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, and potassium.
Carbs in Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a carbohydrate. But it\’s the non-starchy, with lots of fiber and low amounts of natural sugar, and complex kind. One bowl contains about a sixth of the carbs as the same amount of cooked pasta or rice. So it\’s the noble choice for people with diabetes. And also, great for those who want to take low carb foods. The glycemic index of cauliflower is quite low because cauliflower contains slow-to-digest complex carbs instead of blood-sugar-spiking simple carbs.
Fats in Cauliflower
Cauliflower has no fats and is cholesterol-free.
Protein in Cauliflower
Also, Cauliflower has a minimal amount of protein. You should incorporate other proteins in your diet to meet your daily needs.
Some Health Benefits of Cauliflower-
- Prevention of cancer– Cauliflower has a group of substances known as glucosinolates. As you digest it, these substances are torn down into compounds that may help prevent cancer. They help protect cells from damage and have anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial effects.
- Helps in Weight Loss– Cauliflower is low in calories but high in fiber and water which helps in weight loss.
- Great for detoxifying the body – Natural compounds in cauliflower are involved in detoxification.
- Prevents Ageing- Some studies show that natural substances in cauliflower, like sulforaphane which influences to slow the process of aging. It contains compounds that protect the brain and nervous system function and slow age-related cognitive decline.
How to Prepare Cauliflower at home?
Cauliflower is versatile and can be prepared in a number of ways:
- Steam it. The simplest way is to steam it. You can steam the whole head or cut it into florets.
- Roast it. Cut the head of cauliflower into steaks or florets, spread them on a cooking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until it’s golden.
- Puree it. Once cauliflower has been cooked, Pure it until it\’s smooth. Some individuals use it as an alternative for cream sauces. Or add it to smoothies.
- Mash it. Opt for low-carb mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. You also can pizza dough by mashing cauliflower for a lighter crust.
- Grate it. Steam cauliflower and then grate it into a rice-like texture.
Cauliflower on Keto Diet-
Cauliflower is a well-known low-calorie, gluten-free alternative to rice and flour on your keto diet. This vegetable is a big yes on low carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, and keto diets. You can have plenty of dishes using cauliflower as the main ingredient. Some of the keto-friendly recipes are here below.
Keto Cauliflower Recipes-
- Cauliflower Makhani bites
- Keto Mashed cauliflower
- Cauliflower Mac and cheese
- Cauliflower Salad
- Keto Cauliflower Tikki
- Keto Cauliflower Spinach Soup
Cauliflower is a versatile staple edible to add to your keto diet. Carbs in cauliflower are quite low and a great fit for your healthy diet plans. It also has various health benefits. You can make various easy and simple cauliflower recipes on your own.
To lose weight, transforming yourself into a healthier version, and maintaining the weight, subscribe to Keto India for a personalized keto consultation. Good luck on your weight loss journey! Stay tuned for more such health content! Also, don\’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Ketogenic Diet, Health, and Wellness!