In India, Dal Fry is a pretty popular recipe that is enjoyed in almost every state. Rich in protein and great in taste this recipe is a great option for people who are trying to eat healthy but not willing to compromise on the taste. A Dal fry recipe is mainly comprised of dal and various spices which help to give it a taste and aroma.
About Dal Fry Recipe
Dal fry is a popular Indian dish made from lentils, spices, and herbs. It is a healthy and nutritious food option, and it can be an excellent choice for people who want to lose weight if made with healthy ingredients. In this article, we will discuss dal fry recipe and how to make dal fry at home. It’s simple and nutritious.
How To Make Instant Dal Dry at Home
If you don’t know how to make dal fry recipe then worry not, we will help you show how to make some great dal fry at home. Just follow the steps below.
Step 1: Rinse the lentils thoroughly in cold water and drain.
Step 2: In a large saucepan, add the lentils and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and cooked.
Step 3: In a separate pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
Step 4: Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, stirring frequently.
Step 5: Add the minced garlic, grated ginger, and chopped green chili pepper. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Step 6: Add the chopped tomato and cook until it is soft and mashed.
Step 7: Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt to taste. Stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Step 8: Add the cooked lentils to the pan with the spice mixture and stir well. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the dal fry is heated through and well combined.
Step 9: Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
Preparation for Dal Fry Recipe
By following the tips given below you can learn how to make dal fry recipe at home with ease.
1. Make sure to use daal which is of good quality. Using fresh lentils is the way to go since old lentils consume more time and water to cook.
2. The type of daal you use also plays a major role. Dal fry is mainly made from toor daal. The daal you use will change the overall texture and taste of your dal fry recipe.
3. If you want to know how to make a dal fry recipe a lot quicker then to speed up the process of this dal fry recipe, soaking the dal can help.
4. Always ensure that the dal is consistent by adding water from time to time.
Ingredients for Dal Fry
Now that you know how to make dal fry, let’s look at the ingredients we will be using in this easy dal fry recipe.
- 1 cup yellow split lentils (moong dal)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Method/Steps to Cook Dal Fry
So now that you know about the ingredients of this easy dal fry recipe let’s take learn how to make dal fry.
Step 1: Take a pan and melt some ghee or any oil of your choice on medium heat. Now add some mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter
Step 2: Add some curry leaves, hing, cumin seeds, and dried red chilies. and saute for a few seconds.
Step 3: Add some onions and half a teaspoon of salt according to your preference. Now cook the onion until they are golden-brown in color.
Step 4: Add some green chili and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. This will help to get rid of the garlic scent. You can also use some water to prevent the spices from burning in this process.
Step 5: Add garam masala, turmeric, red chili powder, and coriander powder and stir for a few seconds. You can add more spice according to your preference to make dal fry masala.
Step 6: Now add some chopped tomatoes and stir well. Cover the pan and cook for about five minutes until the tomatoes turn soft then mash the tomatoes
Step 7: Before adding the cooked daal make sure to stir and mix everything properly.
Step 8: Now add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to the dal to get the right consistency.
Step 9: Let the dal simmer for a while. Take some kasuri methi and crush it between your palms and add it to the dal.
Step 10: Simmer the dal on low heat for about 5-6 minutes.
Step 11: You can squeeze some lemon at the end or add some chopped cilantro and mix properly.
Step 12: Now add a bit of ghee on top and you are all done. You are dal fry recipe is ready to eat.
You can have this easy dal fry recipe with whole wheat or mixed grain roti.
Any Alternate Way to make Dal Fry
If you do not know how to make dal fry recipe in a traditional way then you can try this alternate way which is easy to make and just as delicious and you can make it in an instant pot
Step 1: In a pit click on the saute button and add some ghee. After the ghee melts add some cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and dried red chili.
Step 2: As soon as they start to splutter add curry leaves some ginge garlic and hing.
Step 3: Now add some onions and tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes
Step 4: Now add some salt and mash the tomatoes until they become soft and mushy.
Step 5: Now add the rinsed dal and press the cancel button and then pour 3 cups of water.
Step 6: Now cook on high pressure and set the timer for 8 minutes.
Step 7: After the dal is done cooking you can use a spatula to mush the dal and also add some water to bring it to the right consistency.
Step 8: Add some Kasuri methi and squeeze a lemon and serve.
Nutritional value in Dal Fry
Knowing the nutritional value of the food you eat is really important. The nutritional value in your easy dal fry recipe will vary according to the ingredients you use.
|Serving size||1 cup (200g)|
Pro Tips to Make the Best Dal Fry at Home
Knowing how to make dal fry is great but following these pro tips will help make your easy dal fry recipe a whole lot better.
- Use minimal oil: A lot of people struggle to know how to make dal fry low in calories. To reduce the calorie content of your dal fry recipe, use as little oil or ghee as possible. Instead, try using cooking spray or a non-stick pan to help prevent sticking. If you are cautious about the calories in your food items then here are some Low Carb Dals
- Use whole spices: Instead of using pre-ground spices, try using whole spices like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds. Toasting the spices in a dry pan before using them can help enhance their flavor. You can make dal fry masala by adding more spices to your dal fry.
- Use low-fat dairy: If you want to know how to make dal fry more creamy then using low-fat plain yogurt or coconut milk will help.
- Add vegetables: To add more fiber and nutrients to your dal fry, try adding chopped vegetables like spinach, kale, or bell peppers. This can also help bulk up your meal without adding too many calories.
- Watch your portion sizes: While dal fry can be a healthy addition to a weight loss diet, it’s important to watch your portion sizes. Stick to a serving size of about 1/2 to 3/4 cups per meal, and pair it with a side of vegetables or a small serving of brown rice or quinoa for a balanced meal.
Health Benefits of Dal Fry
There are many benefits of an easy dal fry recipe. It’s high in protein and can be really beneficial for the body. If you learn how to make dal fry at home then you can enjoy its benefits.
- High in Protein: Lentils are an excellent source of protein, which is essential for weight loss. Protein can help you feel full for longer, reducing your appetite and helping you consume fewer calories throughout the day. Consuming a dal dry recipe once in a while can fulfill your protein requirements. Also, did you know about 15 Delicious Protein Rich Fruits to Have
- Low in Calories: Dal fry is relatively low in calories compared to other Indian dishes. One serving of dal fry contains about 200-250 calories, making it an ideal option for those who want to lose weight.
- High in Fiber: Lentils are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which is essential for weight loss. The fiber in a dal fry recipe can help regulate your appetite, reduce bloating, and promote bowel movements, helping you feel full and satisfied for longer.
- Rich in Nutrients: Dal fry is packed with essential nutrients like iron, potassium, folate, and vitamin B6, which are necessary for optimal health and well-being.
Tips to limit the calorie in Dal Fry
A lot of people while learning how to make dal fry add a lot of unwanted ingredients to it. This makes the dal fry recipe high in calories and not suitable for consumption if you are on a weight loss journey.
1. Make sure to use less oil or any unhealthy oils while making a dal fry recipe. This will increase the calories in this recipe and unhealthy oils also contribute to the buildup of cholesterol in the body. If you are on a Keto diet then here are 4 Best Keto-Friendly Cooking Oils you can integrate into your diet.
2. Avoid having maida naan with a dal fry recipe. It is a refined carb that is high in calories and will spike your blood sugar levels leading to weight gain.
What are some other dishes I can make with Dal?
You can make a variety of dishes with dal such as Dal Makhani and Dal Kadhai. Dal is a rich source of protein.
What’s different in the Dal Fry Recipe by Livofy?
The Dal Dry recipe by Livofy is not only healthy but also delicious. It is a great option for people who are trying to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle.
What is the cooking time for Dal Fry?
The cooking time for a dal fry recipe is 35 minutes. Your cooking time will vary if you add any extra ingredients.
Is Dal Fry Healthy?
Yes, a dal fry recipe made with healthy ingredients is healthy to consume. Dal is a great source of protein and fiber.
What is the right time to have Dal Fry?
Since dal is a rich source of protein and fiber, a dal fry recipe made with healthy ingredients can be consumed at any time of the day.
Is there any side effects of eating Dal?
Eating too much dal can cause bloating or an upset stomach.
How many calories does Dal Fry have?
1 cup of 200 g of dal has about 178 calories. It also has 21g of total carbs, 8.1g of protein, and 7.8g of total fat.
How to make dal fry in an easy way?
If you cannot make dal fry in the traditional way then you can also make dalt fry in an instant pot.
How to make Dal Fry Masala?
You can make dal fry masala by following the sam steps to make a dal fry recipe. You can add more species in it according to your preference.