Are Grapes Good For Diabetes?
Grapes are an excellent source of carbohydrates for people with diabetes because they have the added benefit of being packed with beneficial micronutrients, including minerals, vitamins, and a variety of disease-fighting phytochemicals.
Diabetics are always careful with fruit. They believe the natural sugars in fruit can spike your glucose levels inconsistently. Because of this, they must choose foods that are safe for their blood sugar levels. Diabetics should eat foods (and fruits) with a low GI value. The grape is one of these polyphenol-rich fruits.
Nutritional Content in Grapes
Grapes are sweet and juicy fruits packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other nutrients. The glycemic index (GI) of grapes is 43, making them a low-GI food. They are rich in antioxidant compounds that help regulate blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes complications.
- Energy : 69 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
- Sugars : 15.48 g
- Dietary fiber: 0.9 g
- Fat: 0.16 g
- Protein : 0.72 g
- Vitamin B6: 0.086 mg
- Vitamin C: 3.2 mg
- Vitamin E: 0.19 mg
- Vitamin K:14.6 μg
- Calcium: 10 mg
- Iron: .36 mg
- Magnesium: 7 mg
- Manganese: 0.071 mg
- Phosphorus: 20 mg
- Potassium: 191 mg
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Zinc: 0.07 mg
Grapes contain carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, folic acid, and nutrients, viz. Calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc, phosphorus, selenium, and potassium. Vitamin K plays an important role in maintaining strong bones. Vitamin C boosts immunity, increases iron absorption, and aids in DNA repair. Copper helps form collagen and red blood cells.
Benefits of Grapes
- A phytochemical found in grapes (resveratrol) increases insulin sensitivity.
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer Lasts keeps the body hydrated
- Boosts natural immunity
- Good for skin and hair
- Rich in antioxidants
- Grapes are very beneficial for the brain. Parents often feed children grapes at exam time because they refresh the mind and strengthen memory.
- Grapes have the power to fight diseases like cancer. Eating grapes is recommended to fight cancer.
- Grapes keep the heart healthy.
- Grape juice is very beneficial for migraines.
- Grapes are also consumed for kidney diseases.
- Grapes excrete toxins through the kidneys and liver.
How Grapes Benefit People with Diabetes
The high fiber content of grapes makes the fruit a good fruit alternative for diabetics. Fiber helps maintain overall health because it is not absorbed by the body. Instead, it goes through the intestines and stomach. Fiber helps people with diabetes
- eliminates bad cholesterol
- normalizes bowel movements
- delays the entry of sugar into the body.