Subway is one of the leading fast-food chains for keto-dieters. If you are hungering for a sub and you don’t feel like making it at home, just run over to the nearest Subway and they will create it for you! We’ve got the scoop on their carb count! The food options at Subway are way healthier than some other fast food places, and we like that you can sneak some fresh veggies into your meal. Snacking on low-carb keto-friendly meals at Subway is as simple as asking for a lettuce wrap instead of bread or opting for a salad in place of a sandwich.
Keto-friendly Meals at Subway-
It is possible to follow a ketogenic diet while eating at Subway, but it may require some careful menu selection. Some options that may be suitable for a keto diet at Subway include:
1. Breakfast Options- Subway offers four different breakfast sandwiches and none of them disappoint. They are not available with added sauces the way most sandwiches and salads do. Plus. customization is allowed to include whatever type of cheese you want.
Feeling extra hungry this morning? Ask for a double egg, cheese, or meat, or add guacamole. Order any of the following sandwiches and toss the bread immediately for low-carb keto-friendly meals at Subway for breakfast.
- Bacon, egg, and cheese (450 calories, 20g total fat, 45g carbohydrate, 4g sugar, 25g protein, 45g carbs)
- Black forest ham, egg, and cheese (9 net carbs, 3g fat, 12g protein)
- Steak, egg, and cheese (18 grams of fat, 450 calories,46 grams of carbs,28 grams of protein)
- Egg and cheese (360 calories, 12g fat, 19g protein)
2. Lunch Options – You can use the lunch and dinner suggestions on this list interchangeably. Most people tend to eat lighter at lunch. So we’ve jotted down a list of low-carb lunches that we think will get you through the day without weighing you down.
Again, be mindful to order all sandwiches and wraps without the bread or toss it as soon as you get them.
Also, grasp the sauce on your meal or ask for red wine vinegar and oil instead. Lastly, don’t be terrified to pack on the low-carb veggies or extra meat and guacamole to increase your intake of good fats.
- Savory rotisserie-style chicken caesar sandwich, wrap, or salad (no savory caesar sauce or dressing) (391 calories, 15 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs,23 grams of protein)
- Turkey, bacon, and guacamole sandwich or wrap (no ranch) ( 760 calories, 39g fat, 59g carb, 42g protein)
- Oven-roasted chicken sandwich, wrap, or salad ( 8g net carbs,400 calories)
- Rotisserie-style chicken sandwich, wrap, or salad (391 calories, 15 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs,23 grams of protein)
- Turkey breast sandwich, wrap, or salad ( 200 calories, 10 grams of fat, 17 grams of carbs, 8 grams of protein)
- Chicken and bacon ranch melt sandwich, wrap, or salad (no ranch) ( 460 calories, 32g fats, 15g carbs, 32g protein)
- Black forest ham salad (9 net carbs, 3g fat, 12g protein)
- Steak and cheese salad ( 600 calories, 35g fat, 42g carbs, 31g protein)
- Subway club salad ( 9 net carbs, 3.5g fat, 18g protein)
3. Dinner Options- If you’re looking for a good dinner option or just something that is more filling, then try ordering a foot-long sandwich and eating the insides only. Wraps and sandwiches tend to have more meat in them than salads, so they will fill you up better. The keto-friendly meals at subway are numerous and healthy for you.
Remember to call on for a lettuce wrap instead of bread and skip the sauce or dressing. You can also use more meat or ask for extra guacamole and cheese for more calories. We like these options for dinner:
- Chipotle southwest steak and cheese sandwich or wrap (no bun or sauce)
- Roast beef sandwich or wrap (8 net carbs, 3.5g fat, 19g protein)
- Spicy Italian sandwich or wrap (9 net carbs, 23g fat, 14g protein)
- Steak and cheese sandwich or wrap ( 600 calories, 35g fat, 42g carbs, 31g protein)
- Subway club sandwich or wrap( 9 net carbs, 3.5g fat, 18g protein)
- Black forest ham sandwich or wrap (9 net carbs, 3g fat, 12g protein)
- Cold cut combo sandwich or wrap(9 net carbs, 11g fat, 12g protein)
- Italian BMT sandwich or wrap (no Italian dressing) ( 370 calories, 28 grams of fat, 14 grams of carbs (10 grams net carbs) , 4 grams of fiber,18 grams of protein
4. Keto Drinks At subway- Unsweetened tea, diet coke, and plain coffee are perfect to go.
What to Avoid
In case you’re new to low-carb eating, I’ll start by saying that all Subway slices of bread are off-limits. Here I’ve compiled the Subway bread carb count for each of their slices of bread. The 6-inch subs all have 30 to 43 net carbs and the so-called Subway low-carb flatbreads each have 30+ net carbs and therefore aren’t low carb at all.
Even the Subway gluten-free roll contains 49 net carbs.
Likewise, all their soups, sides, chips, flatbreads, rolls, wraps, pizzas, bagels, and desserts have too many carbs.
While most of the vegetables and meats behind the glass are low carb, I did find some things you should avoid after reviewing online nutrition stats.
Salads to avoid:
- Sweet Onion Teriyaki Chicken Salad – 30 net carbs (because of the sweet onion sauce)
- Meatball Marinara Salad – 21 net carbs ( because of high-carb meatballs and marinara sauce)
Meats /proteins to avoid:
- Falafel – 20 net carbs
- BBQ Pulled Pork – 18 net carbs
- Meatballs – 13 net carbs
- Orchard Chicken Salad – 9 net carbs
- Veggie Patty – 9 net carbs
Sauces/dressings to avoid:
- Sweet Onion Sauce – 18 net carbs
- Barbecue Sauce – 9 net carbs
- Sweet Chili Sauce – 9 net carbs
- Hickory Sauce – 7 net carbs
- Honey Mustard Sauce – 7 net carbs
Make sure you keep all these things in mind and have your subway meal.
It’s important to note that many of Subway’s bread and sauces are high in carbs, so it’s best to choose low-carb options such as lettuce wraps or ask for sauces and dressings on the side. It’s also a good idea to avoid high-carb toppings such as croutons and banana peppers and to double-check the nutrition information to make sure your meal fits within your daily carbohydrate limits.
Subway is a casual sub and salad dining spot that most people go to for lunch. They prepare our food for you right on the spot, which means you can customize any order.
Go with a salad that contains cheese, and low-carb veggies, such as spinach, onions, tomato, black olives, cucumber, and meat. Choose oil and red wine vinegar or ranch as your dressing.
You can also get a wrap or sandwich without the bread. Be sure to grasp all sauces and sides, such as cookies and chips. Stick with water or unsweetened drink as your beverage choice when it comes to eating out on keto.