Keto Hot Dogs aka Keto pretzel dogs or Keto Crescent dogs are basically beef hot dogs wrapped in thinly rolled fathead dough, brushed with egg yolk, and topped with everything bagel seasoning.
This perfect low-carb snack or meal. Even your kids will love it. Those normal Hot Dogs at the mall, have you had them? When we’re in a rush and very hungry the smell hits us and we used to have to get one.
Things have changed these days and we constantly work on controlling what we buy, cook, and eat.
The good news is that now you can make homemade Keto Hot Dogs (Pretzel Dogs) in just 30 minutes with some simple ingredients. These low-carb hot dogs can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat them in the microwave or in the oven.
CAN YOU EAT HOT DOG ON KETO DIET?
Yes, you can eat hot dog meat while on the Keto diet. Since they are meat-based and low in carbs you can eat them without the bun.
But we have a better idea of why not make a low-carb bun and you can enjoy your favorite hot dog minus the extra carbs. Yes we know, fathead dough does not taste like regular hot dog bun, but honestly, we love these so much and we don’t miss the real thing.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE KETO HOT DOGS
- 8 hot dogs
For the dough:
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- baking powder
- garlic powder (optional)
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- almond flour
- large egg
- egg yolk (optional)
- water (optional)
- everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds or coarse salt for topping
Any meat-based hot dogs, that are relatively low in carbs (and sodium preferably) will work in the recipe. The higher the quality the better. We personally like using all-beef hot dogs to make low-carb pretzel dogs.
HOW TO MAKE KETO HOT DOGS?
- In a bowl, combine the mozzarella and cream cheese and heat over a double boiler or in the microwave until the cheese is melted. Stir to combine the cream cheese with the melted mozzarella.
- Let it cool for 2 minutes, then add in the salt, baking powder, and 1 3/4 cups of the almond flour.
- Add one beaten egg.
- Stir with a spatula to incorporate. Alternatively, if the cheese is not too hot to handle, knead with your hands.
- Add garlic powder and Italian seasoning (both optional). Mix to combine.
- Sprinkle almond flour on a working surface.
- Add the dough. Roll out into a rectangle, 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut 8 small rectangles, to just cover around each hot dog.
- Wrap hot dogs into the dough, place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolk and water. Brush the tops of the logs with egg wash. Sprinkle sesame seeds or seasoning on top (optional).
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until golden.
We love this recipe and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss journeys, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle!