All things considered, it is wise to keep in mind that natural, unprocessed sources are what you want when considering the best meats to eat while following a ketogenic diet. As long as they are grass-fed, you can eat any cut of beef, including roast beef, ribs, steak, hamburgers, and kebabs. To learn why it’s important to eat grass-fed meats, click this link. All poultry as well as lamb, veal, venison, and pork are also included. However, because organ meats are rich in nutrients, they shouldn’t be overlooked when following a ketogenic diet. Examples include the tongue, tripe, liver, kidney, and heart.
Healthy meats are a big part of the keto diet. Meat is an excellent source of protein. Make sure to eat not too much meat and take the right amount of portion which is required as the keto diet is a high-fat diet. Here below let’s get to know more about meat on keto, types of meat, and a few meat recipes.
What is Meat?
Meat is the flesh of animals that humans prepare and consume as food. There are a variety of meat- red meat, white meat, and processed meat.
This comes from mammals and contains more of the iron-rich protein myoglobin in its tissue than white meat. Examples include:
- beef (cattle)
- pork (pigs and hogs)
- veal (calves)
- game, such as bison, elk, and venison (deer)
This is generally lighter in color than red meat and comes from birds and small games. Examples include:
- wild birds, such as quail and pheasant
Processed meat has been modified through salting, curing, smoking, drying, or other processes to preserve it or enhance flavor. Examples include:
- hot dogs
- luncheon meats, such as bologna, salami, and pastrami
Benefits of Meat
- Protein found in meat is “complete” because it contains all the amino acids essential for health.
- Mounting, recent evidence shows that lean meat protein could help maintain healthy cardiovascular function.
- Animal products like meat are the only natural sources of Vitamin B12, which promotes brain development in children and helps your nervous system function properly.
- High protein diets that include lean meat have been shown to promote long-term weight loss better than other diets.
- High-quality protein, e.g. meat and poultry, have been shown to prevent muscle loss as we age more effectively than other protein foods.
- Zinc helps maintain optimal immune function and promotes wound healing. Beef is the top dietary source of zinc in the diet.
Meat on Keto
Meat is considered staple food on a ketogenic diet. Fresh meat contains no carbs and is rich in B vitamins and several important minerals. They’re also a great source of high-quality protein, which has been shown to help preserve muscle mass during a very low-carb diet
One study in older women found that consuming a diet high in fatty meat led to HDL (good) cholesterol levels that were 5% higher than on a low-fat, high-carb diet
It’s best to choose grass-fed meat, if possible. That’s because animals that eat grass produce meat with higher amounts of omega-3 fats, conjugated linoleic acid, and antioxidants than meat from grain-fed animals.
Keto Friendly Meats
The most favored type of meat for a ketogenic diet is grass-fed meat. You may read more about the value of consuming high-quality, humanely bred animals here.
To maximize the advantages of a ketogenic diet, one must avoid factory-processed meats and make a commitment to consuming healthier grass-fed cattle.
When following a ketogenic diet, you can choose any type of fowl. There are a thousand different methods to make it, and each one is fantastic. Take advantage of this flexibility by attempting to make pates from scratch. Overall, they are fantastic keto snacks to keep in the fridge!
1. Grass-fed Meat
- Organ Meats
- Poultry Pates
Meats To Avoid On Keto
- Breaded meats.
- Bacon with added sugar.
- Processed meat that could have hidden carbs.
- Processed meats high in nitrates.
- Plant-based proteins.
Preparing Meat For Keto
There’s no One True Way to cook meat on keto – lots of fat-heavy cuts taste delicious after a slow braise, but as long as your recipe doesn’t have too many carbs, it’s all good! So check out one of our other tasty keto meat recipes!
For leaner cuts of meat (like chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork tenderloin), good cooking methods include anything that adds fat:
- Curries or braces with coconut milk
- Butter or cream sauces
- Lean meats wrapped or stuffed with bacon
- Avocado salsa on top
- Anything with cheese
Some Meat Recipes-
- Keto Meatloaf with Gravy
- Keto Ground Beef Casserole
- Keto Korean Meat Bowl
- Keto Butter chicken
- Chicken nuggets
- Chicken salad
- One-Pan Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet
- Keto beef with broccoli
- Keto Loaded Burger Bowls
- One-Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet
- Keto Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats
- Pork chops
- Sesame Pork with green beans
You can have a variety of meat options on keto. Choose the meat which you like and make delectable recipes!
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!