Kadhi is another ordinary dish from the Indian subcontinent. Its primary ingredients in any kadhi are yogurt and chickpea flour (besan). There are many variations of this yogurt-based stew. Depending on the region of the Indian subcontinent, the spices slightly vary. For example, if one hails from the western region, the yogurt gravy is slightly sweet and the same gravy becomes spicier if you are from up north. Let’s see it’s a low-carb version here- the Desi Kadhi recipe!
To adapt this desi kadhi recipe in style, we have used Greek yogurt and changed up the chickpea flour to coconut flour or xanthan gum, and kept the flavor very neutral with basic tempering which in our opinion makes this dish extra delicious. Try this recipe as is, or adapt it to your taste by changing the spices.
Desi Kadhi will give you the same flavorings as the original kadhi recipe. You can have it with cauliflower rice.
- 500ml Water
- 125 ml Full-fat yogurt or sour curd
- 10 gm ginger paste
- a little number of fenugreek seeds, cumin seed, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds
- Dried red chili optional
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum
- ¼ Cup coriander leaves Finely chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida Optional
- Some curry leaves
- Half tsp Turmeric
- Salt and chili as per taste
- Take a bowl and a couple of yogurts, gram flour, and water in it using a hand blender.
- Prepare the paste of ginger and garlic.
- Line the yogurt-flour-water mixture in a boiling pot and put it on a medium flame setting. Once the mixture gets warm, add the ginger-chili paste. Keep stirring continuously or the mixture will split.
- Adjoin the coriander leaves, curry leaves, and salt to the pot.
- Bring the kadhi to a boil and reduce the heat setting to a simmering level. Keep boiling for an additional 10 to 15 minutes and continue stirring to prevent curdling.
- In the meantime, line a saucepan/skillet on another flame and add ghee to it. Allow it to get warm.
- Now, adjoin dry red chili and whole spices in the ghee while stirring frequently.
- Once the spices start releasing aroma, add red chilly powder and turmeric.
- Adjoin asafoetida and curry leaves now. Stir a little before turning off the gas and adding this mixture to the kadhi in the pot.
- Keep up heating the kadhi at a simmer setting for about 15 minutes. If it’s looking too thick add more water.
- Pour in salt according to taste and keep stirring.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Nutrition Information Per serving :
- Calories- 245
- Carbohydrates – 6
- Fat – 9 g
- Protein – 10 g
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!