Dal Makhani is a popular North Indian dish that is made with black lentils (urad dal) and kidney beans (rajma) cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce. It is a staple dish in Punjabi cuisine and is enjoyed all over India.
The Dal Makhani recipe is traditionally slow-cooked on a low flame for several hours, which helps to infuse the flavors of the spices and herbs used in the dish. This cooking method also gives the dal a creamy texture and a rich flavor that is enhanced by the addition of butter and cream. A lot of people don’t know how to make dal makhani and believe it’s really hard to make but that is not the case.
Dal Makhani is typically served with rice, naan bread, or roti. It is a hearty and satisfying dish that is perfect for cold winter nights or any time you crave a comforting and flavorful meal. This blog will teach you how to make an easy dal makhani recipe and also show you how to make dal makhani.
About Dal Makhani Recipe
Dal Makhni is a classic North Indian dish made with black lentils (urad dal) and kidney beans (rajma), cooked in a rich and creamy tomato-based gravy. It is a favorite comfort food of many Indians and is often served at parties and special occasions.
Dal Makhani recipe is known for its slow-cooking process, where the dal and rajma are simmered for hours on low heat with spices and herbs. This cooking method helps to develop a rich and deep flavor and creamy texture in the dish. The addition of butter and cream towards the end of cooking gives the dish a smooth and silky finish.
Dal Makhni can be enjoyed with a variety of Indian bread such as naan, roti, or paratha, or with steamed rice. It is a perfect dish for those looking for a wholesome and filling meal. While the traditional recipe calls for a lot of butter and cream, healthier versions can also be prepared by reducing the amount of fat used in the recipe. Now let’s see how to make dal makhani at home.
|1-2||2 hours (does not include prep time)||Moderate|
How to Make Instant Dal Makhani at Home
If you don’t know how to make a dal makhani recipe at home then worry not, this easy dal makhani recipe takes really less time to make and is very delicious.
Step 1: Rinse the urad dal and rajma in water and soak them in enough water for at least 6-8 hours, or overnight.
Step 2: Drain the water and transfer the dal and rajma to a pressure cooker. Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste. Pressure cook on high flame for 5-6 whistles or until the dal and rajma are cooked completely. Let the pressure release naturally.
Step 3: Heat butter in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add the chopped onion and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
Step 4: Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
Step 5: Add the tomato puree and cook until the raw smell disappears and the masala starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Step 6: Add all the spices- coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, and red chili powder, and cook for 2-3 minutes. You can add more spices to make dal makhani masala.
Step 7: Add the cooked dal and rajma to the pan, mix well, and cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 8: Add cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Step 9: Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy your delicious and creamy Dal Makhani with rice or any Indian bread of your choice.
Preparation for Dal Makhani Recipe
You must know the preparation of dal makhani before knowing how to make dal makhani. While making an easy dal makhani recipe you can take care of a few things that will ensure that your recipe turns out to be more delicious.
1. Always buy fresh lentils as old lentils take longer to cook. This can reduce your cooking time substantially.
2. Use fresh spices and ingredients while making this recipe, this will help to make your dal makhani recipe more delicious.
Ingredients for Dal Makhani
Now that you have an idea of how to make a dal makhani recipe let’s take a look at the ingredients.
- 1 cup black lentils (urad dal)
- 1/2 cup kidney beans (rajma)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Method/Steps to Cook Dal Makhani
If you are confused about how to make dal makhani then you can follow the steps below for a great and easy dal makhani recipe.
Step 1:Rinse the urad dal and rajma in water and soak them in enough water for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
Step 2: Drain the water and transfer the dal and rajma to a large pot. Add 5 cups of water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the dal and rajma are soft and well-cooked.
Step 3: In a separate pan, heat butter and add cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
Step 4: Add ginger paste, garlic paste, and chopped green chilies. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Step 5: Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
Step 6: Add all the spices- coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, and red chili powder, and cook for 2-3 minutes. You can add more spices according to your preference and make dal makhani masala.
Step 7: Add the cooked dal and rajma to the pan and mix well. Mash some of the dal and rajma with the back of a spoon to thicken the gravy.
Step 8: Add cream and cook for another 10-15 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Step 9: Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or any Indian bread of your choice.
An Alternative Way to Make Dal Makhani
If you don’t know how to make dal makhani recipe in the traditional way then you can follow the steps below to make an easy dal makhani recipe.
Step 1: In an instant pot press the saute button and some olive oil
Step 2: Once the oil gets hot add onions and saute until it becomes transparent.
Step 3: Now add some ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 minutes
Step 4: Now add tomato puree, garam masala, and red chili powder and saute for 3-5 minutes.
Step 5: Now add the lentils after draining the water from them. Pour 3 cups of water and deglaze the pot.
Step 6: Now press the cancel button and let the steam release.
Step 7: Now pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Step 8: The dal will most probably be runny at this stage. Just mash the dal and add some salt.
Step 9: Now press the saute button and saute in a low setting.
Step 10: Cook until all the water from the dal evaporates. Now add some low calorie cream and kasuri methi and cook until it becomes creamy.
Step 11: Your dal makhani recipe is ready! Serve with whole wheat roti.
Nutritional Value in Dal Makhani
Knowing the nutritional value of the dal makhani recipe is as important as knowing how to make dal makhani.
|Serving size||1 serving (253g)|
Pro Tips to Make the Best Dal Makhani
Knowing how to make dal makhani is great but following these pro tips can help you to make your recipe a whole lot better. Here are some tips to make the best and easy dal makhani recipe:
- Soak the lentils and beans: Soak the black lentils and kidney beans for at least 6-8 hours, or overnight. This will ensure that they cook faster and more evenly.
- Cook the dal and rajma well: Cook the dal and rajma until they are soft and well-cooked. This will make the dal makhani creamy and smooth.
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh onions, tomatoes, and spices for the best flavor. Fresh ingredients add more depth to the dal makhani recipe.
- Sauté onions and spices well: Sauté the onions until they turn golden brown and the spices until they release their aroma. This will enhance the flavors of the dish. You can also make dal makhani masala by adding more spices to the recipe.
- Mash some of the dal and rajma: Mash some of the dal and rajma with the back of a spoon to thicken the gravy and give it a creamy texture.
- Cook on low heat: Cook the dal makhani on low heat to allow the flavors to develop and the spices to blend well. This will result in a more flavorful dish.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves: Garnish the dal makhani with fresh coriander leaves to add a fresh and aromatic flavor.
By following these tips, you can make a delicious and flavorful dal makhani recipe that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Health Benefits of Dal Makhani
Knowing how to make dal makhani can be really beneficial as it comes with a lot of health benefits. A Dal Makhani recipe when prepared with wholesome ingredients, offers several health benefits:
- Good source of protein: The black lentils and kidney beans used in dal makhani are excellent sources of protein, making it a nutritious meal for vegetarians and vegans. Just like dal here are some Protein Rich Foods
- Rich in fiber: The dish is high in fiber, which helps in digestion and aids in weight management. You can also try these Top 19 Foods Rich in Fiber to Have Daily
- Lowers cholesterol levels: The soluble fiber in lentils and beans helps to lower cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Contains essential nutrients: Dal makhani is a good source of essential nutrients like iron, potassium, magnesium, and folate.
- Boosts immunity: The spices used in dal makhani, like turmeric, cumin, and coriander, have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can boost immunity.
- Regulates blood sugar levels: The high fiber and protein content of the dish can help regulate blood sugar levels, making it a good option for people with diabetes.
It is important to note that the addition of cream and butter can increase the calorie and fat content of the dish. However, you can prepare dal makhani with low-fat dairy or dairy-free substitutes to make it a healthier option.
Tips to Limit Calories in Dal Makhani
A lot of people know how to make dal makhani but do not know how to reduce the calories in it. If you are looking to limit the calories in a dal makhani recipe, here are some tips:
- Use low-fat dairy or dairy-free substitutes: Instead of using heavy cream, use low-fat cream or milk. You can also use coconut milk or cashew cream as a dairy-free option.
- Use less oil or butter: Use minimal oil or butter while cooking the dal and sautéing the spices. You can also use a non-stick pan to reduce the need for oil.
- Reduce the amount of sugar: Some recipes call for sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. You can reduce the amount of sugar or omit it altogether. Want to know How to Control Sugar?
- Use lean protein sources: You can replace the traditional ghee or butter with lean protein sources like grilled chicken or paneer. You can also use tofu or tempeh for a vegetarian option.
- Increase the vegetable content: Add more vegetables like spinach, carrots, and bell peppers to the dal makhani to increase its nutrient content and make it more filling.
- Serve with healthier options: Serve the dal makhani with brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice, and skip the naan bread.
What are some other dishes I can make with Dal?
Dal is really nutritious and versatile and can be added to a lot of recipes or made into many recipes. You can make recipes like Dal Fry, Dal Tadka, Dal Palak, and Chana Dal recipe.
What’s different in the Dal Makhani Recipe by Livofy?
Livofy tells you how to make the dal makhani recipe in a healthy way which can provide you with the right nutrition for your to live a healthy lifestyle.
What is the cooking time for Dal Makhani?
The cooking time of your dal makhani recipe will depend on the ingredients you use. A typical dal makhani recipe takes about 2 hours to make.
Is dal makhani healthy?
A dal makhani recipe if cooked with healthy ingredients can benefit the body. Dal is a great source of protein and fiber which can help in digestion.
What is the right time to have dal makhani?
Dal makhani can be eaten at any time of the day but it’s typically eaten in lunch and dinner.
Is there any side effects of eating dal?
Dal does not have any specific side effects. However, if you have a legume allergy you should stay away from dal.
How many calories does dal makhani has?
1 serving or 253g of dal makhani has about 427 calories alongside 39g of carbs and 16g of protein.
How to make dal makhani spicier?
You can add more red chilies or red chili powder to make it more spicier.
How to make dal makhani in an easy way?
You can make dal makhani recipe in an instant pot. It’s easy to make and is really delicious. You can also make dal makhani masala by adding more spices to this recipe.