Chana masala, also known as chole masala, is a popular vegetarian dish from the Indian subcontinent. It is made with chickpeas, which are cooked in a spicy and tangy tomato-based sauce, along with a blend of aromatic spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. The dish has a rich and complex flavor, with a balance of heat and tanginess, and it is typically served with rice or flatbread. Chana masala is a staple of North Indian cuisine, and it is enjoyed by people all over the world as a hearty and satisfying meal. It is also a great source of protein and fiber for vegetarians and vegans. A lot of people do not know how to make chana masala and think of it as a hard recipe to make. Well, it’s exactly the opposite.
About Chana Masala Recipe
Chana masala is a popular vegetarian dish from the Indian subcontinent. It is made with chickpeas that are cooked in a flavorful and spicy tomato-based sauce with a blend of aromatic spices. It is a nutritious and satisfying meal that can be served with rice or flatbread. This blog will tell you all you need to know about chana masala recipe and how to make it. So follow along!
How to Make Instant Chana Masala Recipe at Home
If you want to know how to make chana masala then look no further. We will tell you how to make an amazing and easy chana masala recipe at your home.
Step 1: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they are soft and translucent.
Step 2: Add the minced garlic, grated ginger, and chopped chili pepper to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Step 3: Add the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, and paprika to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Step 4: Add the canned diced tomatoes to the skillet and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the tomato sauce has thickened.
Step 5: Add the cooked chickpeas to the skillet and stir well. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a little bit of water.
Step 6: Reduce the heat to low and let the chana masala simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 7: Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, if necessary.
Step 8: Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and serve with lemon wedges.
Preparation for Chana Masala Recipe
While making the chana masala recipe you can do some preparation which can help you to make your recipe a whole lot better.
1. If you are using multiple spices make sure to keep them handy before starting to make this chana masala recipe. This will help save time and prevent ingredients from burning while you are searching for certain items.
2. Cutting all the vegetables used in this recipe will also help you save a lot of time.
3. Before making a chana masala recipe, soak the chana in water overnight. This will help make the chana soft which is important for this recipe.
Ingredients for Chana Masala
Now that you know how to make chana masala, let’s look at the ingredients we will be using to make an easy chana masala recipe.
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas (you can use canned chickpeas or soak dry chickpeas overnight and cook them until they’re soft)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Method/Steps to Chana Masala
Learning how to make chana masala recipe at home is not hard at all. All you have to do is follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Firstly you have to soak the chickpeas in water overnight for about 8 hours. Soak them in 4 cups of water
Step 2: Drain all the water and cook them in a pressure cooker with 1/2 cup of water for 5-6 whistles
Step 3: Make sure your chickpeas are soft. You can check this by mashing them.
Step 4: Pour some oil into a pan and when it becomes slightly hot add the whole spices like cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, and cloves
Step 5: When they start to sizzle, add some onions and saute until they are light brown
Step 6: Now add ginger and garlic paste and saute for a minute
Step 7: Now add some tomatoes and salt and cook until they become mushy.
Step 8: Put some red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, coriander powder, and cumin powder and saute for 3-4 minutes. Did you know you can make tea with turmeric? Here’s how you can make Turmeric Tea
Step 9: Add the chana with one and one-fourth cups of water and mix well. You can add some salt according to your taste.
Step 10: Now garnish the chana masala with coriander leaves and enjoy.
Any Alternate Way to make Chana Masala
If you are looking for an easier way to learn how to make chana masala then there is an alternate way to make an easy chana masala recipe that is easy and nutritious.
Step 1: You can use an instant pot to make this recipe. First, put some onions and tomatoes in the instant pot and select saute mode and saute for some time.
Step 2: Once they become soft, add soaked chickpeas with 2 cups of water.
Step 3: Deglaze and pressure cook it on high for about 35 minutes.
Step 4: When the pressure lowers, cook on saute mode for a while and add all the spices.
Step 5: Top with some kasuri methi and your easy chana masala recipe is ready.
How to Make a Dry Chana Masala?
For a chana masala dry recipe, you can use the same ingredients and follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Add some oil to a pan and add mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves and hing and let them splutter
Step 2: Now add some ginger garlic paste and saute to remove the smell
Step 3: Now add garam masala, turmeric, salt, and red chili powder and mix well.
Step 4: Saute for a minute
Step 5: You can taste-test the chickpeas and add more spices or salt according to your preference. Your chana masala dry recipe is ready. Making this chana masala dry recipe is easy and is also very delicious.
Nutritional value in Chana Masala
The Chana masala recipe is a nutritious and delicious dish that is rich in protein, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. Here is the approximate nutritional value of one serving (1 cup) of chana masala made with cooked chickpeas, tomatoes, and various spices:
|Serving size||1 cup|
Note that the nutritional value may vary depending on the specific recipe and the serving size. Additionally, if you serve chana masala with rice or other accompaniments, the overall nutritional value of the meal will be different. However, the chana masala recipe is generally considered a healthy and nutritious meal option that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.
Pro Tips to Make the best chana masala at Home
Here are some pro tips to help you make the best easy chana masala recipe at home:
- Cook the chickpeas until they are soft: Whether you’re using canned chickpeas or cooking them from scratch, make sure that the chickpeas are fully cooked and soft. This will ensure that they have a nice texture in the finished chana masala recipe.
- Toast and grind your own spices: To get the most flavor out of your spices, consider toasting and grinding them yourself. This will give your chana masala a more complex and nuanced flavor. You can use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder to do this. A lot of people want to know how to make chana masala dry recipe. You can add more species and less water to the recipe.
- Use fresh ingredients: Whenever possible, use fresh onions, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes for your chana masala recipe. This will give your dish a fresher and more vibrant flavor.
- Let the spices bloom: When you add the spices to the skillet, let them cook for a minute or two before adding the other ingredients. This will help the flavors to develop and create a more flavorful dish.
- Simmer the chana masala: After you’ve added the chickpeas and other ingredients to the skillet, let the mixture simmer for at least 10-15 minutes. This will give the flavors a chance to meld together and create a more delicious chana masala recipe.
- Adjust the seasoning: Taste your chana masala before serving and adjust the seasoning as needed. If it’s too spicy, you can add a little bit of sugar or honey to balance the heat. If it’s too sour, you can add a little bit of cream or coconut milk to mellow out the acidity. Knowing how to make chana masala with good seasoning will add a lot of flavours to the recipe.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and lemon wedges: A sprinkle of fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice can add brightness and freshness to your chana masala. It’s a small touch, but it can make a big difference in the overall flavor of the chana masala recipe.
Health benefits of Chana Masala
Chana masala, a popular Indian dish made with chickpeas and a variety of spices, offers several health benefits. Here are some of the potential health benefits of consuming chana masala:
- High in fiber: Chickpeas are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help promote digestive health, regulate blood sugar levels, and reduce cholesterol levels. Making a chana masala recipe once in a while can provide your body with good amounts of fiber. Here are Top 19 Foods Rich in Fiber to Have Daily
- Good source of plant-based protein: Chickpeas are a good source of plant-based protein, which is important for muscle building and repair, and can help keep you feeling full and satisfied. That’s why learning how to make chana masala can help you.
- Rich in antioxidants: Many of the spices used in chana masala, such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander, are rich in antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. That’s why learning how to make chana masala and eating it once in a while can help your body in many ways. Do you know what has a lot of antioxidants? Weight loss drinks! Here are the Best Weight Loss Drinks You Must Know
- May aid in weight management: Due to its high fiber and protein content, chana masala may help promote feelings of fullness and satiety, which can aid in weight management. People struggling to lose weight should learn how to make chana masala and add it to their diet.
- May help lower cholesterol levels: Chickpeas are high in soluble fiber, which can help reduce cholesterol levels and lower the risk of heart disease.
- May have anti-inflammatory effects: Some of the spices used in chana masala recipe, such as turmeric and ginger, have anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the body.
Overall, chana masala is a nutritious and flavorful dish that can offer several health benefits when consumed as part of a balanced diet.
Tips to limit calories in Chana Masala
Chana masala is a delicious and nutritious dish, but it can be high in calories due to the use of oil and various spices. Here are some tips to help you limit the calories in an easy chana masala recipe
- Use less oil: Want to know how to make chana masala low in calories? Instead of using a lot of oil to cook the onions and other ingredients, try using a non-stick pan or cooking spray to reduce the amount of oil used.
- Use low-fat yogurt or coconut milk: Instead of using heavy cream, try using low-fat yogurt or coconut milk as a substitute to reduce the calories and fat content.
- Reduce the amount of salt: Try to reduce the amount of salt used in the recipe, as excess sodium can contribute to high blood pressure and other health problems.
- Use lean protein: Instead of using chicken or lamb, use chickpeas as your main source of protein to reduce the calories and saturated fat content in the chana masala recipe.
- Increase the amount of vegetables: Adding more vegetables such as spinach, bell peppers, or carrots to your chana masala can increase the fiber and nutrient content, while reducing the overall calorie count.
- Avoid adding sugar: Many recipes for chana masala call for sugar to be added to balance the spices. However, you can reduce or eliminate the amount of sugar used, as the dish can still taste delicious without it.
By following these tips, you can still enjoy a flavorful and healthy chana masala while reducing the overall calorie count.
What are some other dishes I can make with Chana?
Dishes such as Chole Bathure, Chole Gravy, and Chana chaat can be made with chana.
What’s different in the Chana Masala Recipe by Livofy?
Livofy tells you the healthiest way to make various recipes that can help you achieve your fitness goals.
What is the cooking time for Chana Masala?
A typical chana masala recipe takes about 50 minutes to cook. The cooking time will also vary according to the ingredients you use in the chana masala recipe.
Is chana masala healthy?
A chana masala recipe made with healthy ingredients is good for the body. Chana is rich in protein and can also help improve digestion in the body.
What is the right time to have chana masala?
Chana masala is usually consumed in the morning or as lunch in the afternoon. It provides energy to the body.
Is there any side effects of eating chana?
If you have a legume allergy then you should stay from chana. Overconsumption of chana can cause bloating.
How many calories does chana masala have?
1 cup of chana masala has about 275 calories. It also provides the body with 38g of carbs, 10g of fat, and 9g of protein.
How to make chana masala low in calories?
You can use less oil or a low calorie oil while making a chana masala recipe which will reduce the number of calories in it.