Asparagus soup tastes rich, yet it’s made without heavy cream – just veggies, broth, and a bit of Parmesan cheese puréed to silky perfection.
This creamy asparagus soup is made without heavy cream – just vegetables, broth, and a bit of Parmesan cheese puréed to silky perfection. It’s perfect for early spring when asparagus is in peak season and there’s still a chill in the air.
Here is its quick recipe:
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 2-1/4 pounds), bottom ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt as per taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Handful fresh herbs, such as thyme, dill, or basil (optional, for garnish)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown; reduce the heat if necessary.
- In the meantime, cut the tips off of one bunch of the asparagus and set aside (you’ll use those for a garnish). Cut the remaining spears and the other bunch of asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add the chopped asparagus to the pot (minus the reserved tips), along with the chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the reserved asparagus tips for a few minutes, or until tender-crisp. Drain the tips and then place them in a bowl of ice water to “shock” them — this stops the cooking process and preserves their bright green color.
- Once the tips are cool, drain them and set them aside.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender until completely smooth.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer and stir in the lemon juice and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. To thicken the soup, allow it to simmer, uncovered until the desired consistency is reached.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, then top each bowl with asparagus tips, Parmigiano-Reggiano, herbs (if using), and freshly ground black pepper.
Per serving (6 servings)
Calories:160 | Fat:10 g | Saturated fat:6 g | Carbohydrates:10 g | Sugar:3 g | Fiber:2 g | Protein:10 g | Sodium:593 mg | Cholesterol:22 mg
Get started your with Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!