Creamy Italian Fontina, earthy mushrooms, and a dash of truffle oil transform a childhood favorite into elegant little sandwiches. Here comes Grilled cheese with sauteed mushrooms
To most people, grilled cheese implies a few Kraft Singles sandwiched between slices of Wonder Bread. As comforting as it may be, the standard take offers only a glimpse of grilled cheese’s full potential.
A good grilled cheese needs substance, something to turn it from a high-calorie snack into a low-calorie meal, hence the mushrooms and the pile of caramelized onions here. Mushrooms and Swiss are quite good together so out goes the processed American cheese.
- 1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 slices rye bread
- 2 cups shredded swiss/gouda cheese
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1⁄2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 2 Tbsp softened butter
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in the mushrooms and cook for about 6 minutes, until nicely caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set out four slices of rye bread on a cutting board.
- Crown with half the swiss/gouda, then the onions and mushrooms. Put the thyme (if using) and the remaining cheese.
- Top with the remaining slices of rye.
- Layer the softened butter on both sides of the sandwiches.
- Warm a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Adjoin the sandwiches, working in batches if you must, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side, until fully toasted and golden brown.
- Calories- 420
- Carbs- 60g
- Protein- 9g
This grilled cheese paired with mushrooms and hearty soup would be a great combination. A pretty comforting meal.
Get started your with Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!