Just reading the name “Masala Fish Fry” is enough to get your mouth watering. You can already start to taste the sparkling flavours of the spices used to marinate the fish. Easy to cook and extremely delicious, masala fish fry makes an amazing appetizer to your meal.
Marinated in a variety of spices, this delicious dish ensures a flavour packed experience. Spices used to marinate these filets include coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves.
This succulent Indian dish is made by shallow frying these well-marinated pieces of fish. A perfect serving of masala fish fry comprises well marinated juicy filets of fish with a crunchy outer crust of masala as a result of the shallow frying. Pair this with an onion salad and lemon and you’ll definitely be coming back for seconds.
The majority of the preparation for this dish is in making the marination paste. So, here’s an easy to cook double marination recipe for a spicy serving masala fish fry!
- Ginger garlic paste (1tbsp)
- Lemon Juice (As per taste)
- Salt (As per taste)
- Turmeric powder (¼ tsp)
- Garam masala (¾ tsp)
- Coriander powder (½ tsp)
- Red chilli powder (½ tsp)
- Rice flour (1 ½ tbsp)
- Besan or gram flour (1 ½ tbsp)
- Salt (As per taste)
- Red chilli powder (¼ to ½ tsp)
- A few curry leaves
- Fish filets (½ kg)
- Oil (about 2 tbsp)
- In marination, bowl add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, Garam masala and lemon juice.
- Mix well to create a thick paste (Be sure to give the marinade a taste to check if there’s enough salt and lemon)
- Adequately rinse the filets of fish and make thin slits on them
- Apply this marinade paste to the fish filets in an equal manner (Add a tsp of water to better apply the marination if needed). Once done, set the fish aside.
- In a separate vessel, add the rice flour, besan, curry leaves, red chilli powder and salt and mix well (be sure to taste this marinade to adjust the amount of salt as per taste)
- Coat the fish in this flour mixture (2nd marinade) by placing them into this mixture. Make sure the fish is well coated on all sides.
- Set the fish aside till the dry flour mixture that coats the fish becomes moist. This will help the marinade stick well to the fish. (Set aside for about 10-15 mins for proper marination)
- Heat a frypan or tawa and add the oil to it (spread it across the pan in an even manner)
- Once heated properly, add the fish fillets to the pan and cook on a low flame until both sides are crusted properly
- Garnish with an onion salad and lemon and serve as a side dish or an appetizer
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fiber: 1g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 102mg | Potassium: 535mg | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1.3mg
This flavourful dish makes an amazing addition to your meal. Masala fish fry is tasty and very easy to cook. Its enticing flavours will definitely have you hooked and wanting more!
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!