About Gajar Halwa Recipe
Gajar Halwa recipe is a traditional Indian dessert made with grated carrots, milk, sugar, and ghee (clarified butter). It is rich, decadent, and incredibly delicious. However, it is also high in calories and sugar, making it an indulgent treat that is not ideal for those looking to lose weight. But what if we told you that there is a way to make it both delicious and healthy? Yes, you read that right! With a few simple tweaks, you can enjoy this classic dessert without compromising your weight loss goals. Read this blog to know all about Gajar Halwa recipe and how to make Gajar Halwa.
How To Make Instant Gajar Halwa at Home
Follow the steps below to know how to make gajar halwa at home. This easy gajar halwa recipe is easy and delicious.
Step 1:In a large saucepan, heat the ghee or coconut oil over medium heat.
Step 2: Add the grated carrots and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
Step 3: Add the milk and stir well. Cover and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are cooked and the milk has been absorbed.
Step 4: Add the honey, cardamom, and cinnamon, and mix well.
Step 5: Cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 6: Remove from heat and garnish with chopped almonds.
Preparation for Gajar Halwa Recipe
If you want to know how to make gajar halwa recipe a lot better then you can do some preparations ahead of making the recipe.
1. Grate your carrots before making the recipe. This helps to save time and effort. By doing so you can focus on making the recipe a lot better.
2. Always buy the best carrots when making a gajar halwa recipe. This recipe consists mainly of carrots and using the best quality carrots will enhance the taste of this recipe.
3. Always make sure to stir the carrots from time to ti,e while making this recipe. Leaving it as it is will burn the carrots.
Ingredients for Gajar Halwa
Now that you have an idea of how to make gajar halwa let’s take a look at the ingredients that will be used to make this easy gajar halwa recipe.
- 1 kg grated carrots
- 2 cups of low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
Method/Steps to Cook Gajar Halwa
If you don’t know how to make gajar halwa then the steps below will help you to make a great and easy gajar halwa recipe.
Step 1: First you have to peel the carrots and grate them and keep them aside.
Step 2: Take a large pan and heat some ghee in it. You can also use a healthy oil. Fry some cashews and almonds.
Step 3: Fry the nuts until they turn golden brown and keep it aside
Step 4: Now in the same pan add the grated carrots and saute for 5 minutes until they start to change color.
Step 5: Now add some milk to the carrots and stir well. Let the carrots boil in the milk for about 10 minutes.
Step 6: Continue to boil until the carrots are cooked and turn soft and the milk has reduced.
Step 7: Once the milk gets thick you can add 3/4 cup of sugar or honey.
Step 8: Mix well and cook until the sugar dissolves and gets thick
Step 9: Now cook the halwa until it releases ghee from the sides.
Step 10: Now turn off the flame and add half a cup of khoya, some fried nuts, and 1/4 tsp cardamom powder.
Step 11: Mix everything well.
Your gajar halwa recipe is ready to eat!
Any Alternate Way to make Gajar Halwa
If you are struggling with how to make gajar halwa then there are a lot of alternate ways to make an amazing and easy gajar halwa recipe.
- Instant Pot: If you have an Instant Pot, you can make it in a fraction of the time it takes on the stove. Simply sauté the grated carrots in ghee or oil, add milk, sugar, and spices, and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Finish with some chopped nuts and serve. This gajar halwa recipe is super easy to make.
- Microwave: This is a quick and easy way to make a gajar halwa recipe without using the stove. Microwave the grated carrots and milk in a microwave-safe dish until cooked, then add sugar, ghee, and spices. Microwave for another 2-3 minutes, stir in some chopped nuts, and your Gajar Halwa is ready.
- Vegan: To make a vegan version of it, use coconut milk instead of regular milk and replace ghee with coconut oil. You can also use maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey for sweetness.
- Gluten-Free: If you have gluten intolerance, you can still enjoy using gluten-free flour such as almond flour or rice flour instead of wheat flour.
- Nut-Free: If you have a nut allergy, you can skip the nuts in the recipe and add some raisins or dried cranberries for texture and flavour.
Nutritional value in Gajar Halwa
Learning how to make gajar halwa is incomplete without knowing its nutritional value. Here is the nutritional value of a gajar halwa recipe.
|Serving size||1 cup (228g)|
Pro Tips to make the best Gajar Halwa at home
Knowing how to make gajar halwa recipe is great but these pro tips can make your easy gajar halwa recipe a whole lot better.
- Use Fresh Carrots: Choose fresh, sweet carrots for the best flavour and texture. Avoid using carrots that are wilted or have a bitter taste. Know more about the Nutritional Importance Of Carrots
- Grate the Carrots Finely: Finely grated carrots cook faster and give a smoother texture to the halwa. You can use a food processor or box grater to grate the carrots.
- Cook the Halwa Slowly: Gajar Halwa recipe tastes best when it is cooked slowly over low heat. This allows the flavours to meld together and the carrots to become tender and caramelized.
- Add Milk Gradually: Add milk to the sautéed carrots gradually, stirring continuously. This will prevent lumps from forming and give your gajar halwa recipe a smooth, creamy texture.
- Adjust the Sweetness: Taste the halwa as you cook it and adjust the sweetness to your liking. Remember that natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup are less sweet than sugar, so you may need to use a little more to achieve the desired sweetness.
- Garnish with Nuts and Spices: Add a final touch of flavour and texture by garnishing the halwa with chopped nuts, such as almonds, cashews, or pistachios, and some ground cardamom or cinnamon.
Health Benefits of Gajar Halwa
A gajar halwa recipe not only tastes delicious but also has a lot of nutritional value. Here are the health benefits of gajar halwa
1. Gajar halwa can help improve vision as it is made with carrots that contain beta-carotene. It helps in the formulation of Vitamin A in the body which is beneficial for the health of the eye. Learning how to make an easy gajar halwa recipe and consuming it once in a while can be beneficial for your eyes.
2. Consuming gajar halwa can help with immunity as it contains Vitamin C which is responsible for the proper functioning of the immune system.
3. Gajar halwa is made with several ingredients like carrot, ghee, milk nuts and cardamom which provides you with various vitamins like Vitamin D, A, K. To know more about the amazing benefits of carrots read Carrot Nutrition – Calories, Protein, Carbs
Tips to limit the calorie in Gajar Halwa
A lot of people know how to make gajar halwa recipe but they add a lot of unwanted sugar to it which makes it unhealthy and also adds a lot of calories to it. Here are some tips that might help
- Use Low-Fat Milk: If you want to make gajar halwa low in fat then replace whole milk with low-fat milk or almond milk to reduce the calorie and fat content of the dish. Did you know about Milk Nutrition – Calories, Protein, Carbs
- Cut Down on Sugar: Use natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup instead of sugar. You can also reduce the amount of sweetener used by adding cardamom or cinnamon for natural sweetness in this easy gajar halwa recipe.
- Use Less Ghee: Want to know how to make gajar halwa with fewer calories? Use a smaller amount of ghee, or use a healthier oil like coconut oil or olive oil. This will reduce the number of calories in your gajar halwa recipe.
- Add Nuts and Seeds: Add some healthy fats and protein by incorporating nuts and seeds into the gajar halwa recipe. Almonds, cashews, and chia seeds are all excellent choices.
- Use Stevia: If you want to know how to make gajar halwa low in calories and sweet as well then consider using Stevia as a natural, calorie-free sweetener.
What are some other dishes I can make with Gajar?
Gajar is a very versatile ingredient as you can use it to make a lot of recipes. You can make dishes like Gajar Barfi, Aloo Gajar ki Sabzi, and Gajar Pratha.
What’s different in the Gajar Halwa Recipe by Livofy?
Livofy helps you to make healthy recipes. The Gajar Halwa recipe by Livofy is not only healthy but also delicious.
What is the cooking time for Gajar Halwa?
A typical gajar halwa recipe takes about 40 minutes to make. The cooking time may change according to the ingredients used.
Is Gajar Halwa healthy?
The ingredients used in the Gajar Halwa recipe provide a lot of health benefits. Consuming Gajar halwa can improve eye health and can also boost immunity.
What is the right time to have Gajar Halwa?
You can have gajar halwa during the day especially in winter as it helps to keep your body warm.
Is there any side effects of eating Gajar Halwa?
Gajar halwa recipe consists mainly of carrots and if you are allergic to carrots then gajar halwa may not be the right choice for you.
How many calories does Gajar Halwa has?
One cup or 228g of Gajar Halwa has about 275 calories.