Hummus recipe is a popular spread or dip in the Mediterranean and the Middle East. Its main ingredients are high in protein, fiber, and heart-healthy fats. If you want to lose weight, one of the foods you should love right now is hummus. Weight loss is difficult to achieve and requires a consistent and long-term commitment to a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Here, let’s understand how to make Hummus, a popular weight loss recipe, at home.
About Hummus Recipe
Chickpeas are the main ingredient (Read more about Chickpea Nutrition). Black beans are sometimes substituted for chickpeas. Sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt are among the other elements in the dish. Chickpeas, however, is the key to their role as a weight-loss food. Chickpeas are high in fiber and protein, both of which are essential for weight loss. Protein is a satiating nutrient, as is fiber, which is also responsible for a healthy gut and aids in weight loss. Read on to know how to make Hummus recipe for weight loss.
How to Make Instant Hummus at Home (Step-by-Step)
Let’s understand how to make hummus at home by folliwmg these steps:-
Step 1: Fill a bowl or measuring cup halfway with chickpea liquid.
Step 2: In a blender, combine the chickpeas, garlic cloves, lemon juice, tahini, and 1/2 of the chickpea liquid.
Step 3: Blend in a pinch of salt and pepper until smooth.
Step 4: As needed, season with salt and pepper.
Step 5: If you prefer a creamier or thinner sauce, add a little more chickpea liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Blend well. Add salt and blend until the dip is smooth and creamy.
- If it’s too thick, thin it out with a teaspoon of boiled chickpea water at a time.
- Warm water or olive oil can also be used to thin it out.
Preparation for Hummus Recipe
There are no major steps required to make the easy Hummus Recipe, but you can take a few steps to make the cooking process easier and faster:
- Make sure to soak the Chickpeas overnight to have a smooth Hummus consistency.
- Peel the chickpeas beforehand to add more creaminess to your Hummus.
- Cook the Chickpeas to make sure they are mushy and can be blended well.
Ingredients for Hummus Recipe
- Drained, rinsed and cooked chickpeas- 1 cup
- Tahini- 2 Tablespoons
- 1 small lemon
- Minces cloves of garlic – 1 or 2 cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil- 2 Tablespoons
- Salt to taste or 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ground cumin- 1.4 Teaspoon
- Water – 2 to 4 tablespoons (Or more if required)
Methods/Steps to Cook Hummus Recipe
Here’s how to make Hummus (Step by Step)
Step 1: In a blender, combine the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, salt, and ground cumin.
Step 2: As necessary, scrape down the bowl’s sides as you process or blend the food until it’s smooth.
Step 3: As you blend, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is achieved. For a smoother texture, if additional water is required.
Step 4: When necessary, add more salt, lemon juice, or spices after tasting the dish.
Step 5: Place the hummus in a serving bowl, top with olive oil, and add extra garnishes.
Step 6: Enjoy this easy hummus recipe with pita bread and crisp vegetables
Any Alternate Way to Make Hummus
People often wonder how to make hummus in an easy fashion. Here, we’ll tell you an easy way to make the Hummus at home:-
Step 1: In a blender, add cooked Chickpeas, Garlic, Salt, Cumin and lemon juice
Step 2: Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time till you reach the desired consistency.
Step 3: Place the Hummus in a serving bowl and top it up with Olive oil and herbs.
Step 4: Serve with Pita Bread.
It is fairly easy to make the Hummus Recipe.
Nutritional Value in Hummus Recipe
Knowing the nutritional value is as important as knowing how to make Hummus. Here’s the nutritional value of the easy Hummus recipe.
|Serving Size||Quantity per cup (240g)|
Pro Tips to Make the Best Hummus Recipe at Home
You can make the easy Hummus recipe even more delicious using these tips.
- Use dried chickpeas rather than canned ones to make hummus. Dry chickpeas make hummus taste better.
- Soak the chickpeas overnight before cooking them.
- Cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker.
- Cook the chickpeas really well to make a smooth Hummus.
- You can choose to peel the chickpeas in order to achieve the extra smooth consistency of the Hummus.
- You can choose to add Tahini or Sesame seeds to your Hummus.
Health Benefits of Hummus Recipe
Here are some health benefits of easy Hummus recipe:-
- It contains a lot of plant-based protein.
“Chickpeas are a plant-based protein source that is beneficial for body repair and recovery.” Hummus, in particular, contains nearly 8 grams of protein per serving, making it ideal for a midday energy boost that can help you stave off hunger pangs and avoid overeating throughout the day. Combine it with broccoli for a protein-rich punch.
- It’s one of the best diabetic snacks.
Hummus has a very low glycemic index in addition to being loaded with protein, heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamins, and minerals that are great for those with diabetes. Follow our diabetes plans
- It’s high in calcium, which helps build strong bones.
Calcium is included on the list of essential minerals because it is “essential for strong bones, nerve transmission, and regulation of heart muscle function.”
- It contains fiber, which is beneficial to gut health.
Hummus is also high in fiber, with nearly 1 gram per tablespoon, making it a filling and satisfying snack or meal. “Research shows that fiber is good for your heart, helps with digestion, and lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes.”
- It can aid in cholesterol reduction.
Chickpeas, in addition to increasing good fat, have been shown in studies to help lower bad LDL cholesterol. “In one study, 47 healthy adults were randomly assigned to either a wheat or chickpea-enriched diet. Those who ate more chickpeas had 4.6 percent lower ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol levels after five weeks.”
- Might help with weight loss. Hummus is a fantastic source of protein and fiber, both of which may aid with weight loss. According to studies, those who regularly consume chickpeas or hummus are less likely to be fat, have a lower BMI, and have a smaller waist circumference. Check our weight loss plans.
Tips to Limit Calories in Hummus
While knowing how to make hummus is important, it is also important to know how to limit its calories, especially if you want to keep a check on your calorie intake. Here are some tips to limit calories in the Hummus recipe:-
- Use less olive oil
- Use less Tahini
- Add more vegetables like roasted bell peppers or roasted garlic, to your hummus
- Be cautious of your portion size. Make sure to not overeat hummus and keep a check on the size of the portion you consume
If you read more about how to make hummus healthy, you can ace an easy hummus recipe.
What are some other dishes I can make with Chickpea?
You can make recipes like coconut chickpea curry or Instant Pot Chickpea curry with Spinach.
What’s different in the Hummus Recipe by Livofy?
Different recipes for Hummus can vary in their ingredients, cooking techniques, and flavor profiles. For example, Livofy’s Hummus recipe may use a specific blend of spices than another recipe.
Additionally, Hummus recipes can also vary in their level of complexity, cooking time, and the number of ingredients required. Some recipes may be more suitable for beginner cooks, while others may be more advanced and require more time and skill.
Therefore, it’s essential to choose a recipe that suits your preferences, skill level, and dietary requirements. You can also try different recipes to know how to make Hummus healthy and flavorful.
What is the cooking time for Hummus?
It can take about 30 minutes (including cooking time and preparation time) to make this Hummus recipe.
Is Hummus healthy?
Yes, Hummus recipe is considered to be a healthy middle eastern dish. It is made from Chickpeas, Tahini, Lemon Juice, Garlic and Olive oil. Hummus is considered to be healthy because of the following reasons:-
- Versatile and can be a part of your balanced diet
- Suitable for Vegans
- Hummus is nutrient rich i.e it is packed with fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals.
- Hummus is low in saturated fats as compared to other spreads or dips
You can read more about how to make hummus healthy in order to modify your recipe accordingly.
What is the right time to have Hummus?
Hummus can be enjoyed any time of the day as part of a well-balanced diet. Since it is a versatile dish, you can use it as a dip, dressing or spread.
Is there any side effects of eating Hummus?
Because chickpeas are a type of legume, some people may have digestive problems after eating chickpeas or hummus. This may involve signs including bloating, gas, or pain. Start with a little amount of hummus if you have a sensitive digestive system to gauge how your body will respond and make any necessary adjustments. You can read more about how to make Hummus recipe healthy to limit these side effects.
How many calories does Hummus have?
This Hummus recipe has about 400 Calories per 240g.
What exactly is hummus made of?
The Hummus recipe is made of Chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil are the most common ingredients in hummus.
How to make Hummus recipe interesting?
You can make Hummus recipe interesting by adding roasted vegetables, experimenting with herbs such as Basil, Cilantro and Parsley, adding crunchy toppings such as seeds and roasted nuts.
How to make Hummus recipe without garlic?
Making Hummus without garlic is as tasty and flavourful as the one with garlic.
Just blend Chickpeas, Cumin, Lemon juice, Tahini and Olive oil. Blend it till it forms a creamy consistency.
After that, transfer the Hummus into a bowl and drizzle olive oil on top. Serve with Puta bread or crunchy vegetables.
Is hummus gluten-free?
Yes, Homemade hummus is gluten-free