Kadhi is a popular north Indian dish made with besan and yogurt as the main ingredients, along with various spices, and served with gram flour pakodas. A kadhi recipe is a popular lunch option in all Indian households and is best served with cooked rice. It contains magnesium and has a low glycemic index, which can aid in blood pressure and blood sugar control. Magnesium relaxes muscles and aids in heart health.
At the same time, the phosphorus in it aids in the regulation of the lipid mechanism. Furthermore, a low glycemic index diet is thought to be ideal for diabetic patients. Here we shall discuss how to make Kadhi at home. Read this blog to know more about kadhi recipe and how to cook it
About Kadhi Recipe
Kadhi is a really popular dish in India, especially in the northern states. It is a yogurt-based curry that is made with besan and seasoned with various kinds of spices. It is typically served with rice or roti and is often enjoyed in summer as comfort food. A Kadhi recipe can be good for your health as it contains yogurt which is known to aid digestion and keep your body cool. Follow along to know how to make Kadhi and learn to cook an easy kadhi recipe.
How To Make Instant Kadhi at Home (Step Wise)
We’ve already talked about the ingredients needed and the preparations one has to do. However, let’s now try to answer How to make Kadhi. If you want to make a quick and easy snack, this easy Kadhi recipe is perfect for you.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt and chickpea flour until smooth. Add water and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, and dried red chilies. Fry for a few seconds until the spices start to sizzle and become fragrant. Learn about Flax seeds Nutrition – Calories, Protein, Carbs
- Add chopped ginger, chopped green chilies, and curry leaves. Fry for a minute or two until the ginger becomes slightly brown.
- Chop some onions and fry until they become translucent. Now add chopped tomatoes and fry until they become soft and mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder (optional), red chili powder, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the pan and mix well. Let the mixture come to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Let the kadhi simmer for 20-25 minutes until it thickens and the flavors meld together.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
There you go! Now that you know how to make kadhi, let’s now take a look at some preparations that need to take place.
Preparation for Kadhi Recipe
So now that you know how to make Kadhi. There are no major preparations that need to be done before making a kadhi recipe. However, there are certain things you can do to ensure your easy Kadhi recipe turns out to be delicious.
- Since yogurt is one of the major components in this kadhi recipe, make sure to easy fresh yogurt. It will enhance the taste and freshness of this recipe
- Make sure to use fresh curry leaves and seeds in this recipe. Also, use a healthy oil for frying the pakoras.
Ingredients for Kadhi Recipe
Ingredients for an easy Kadhi recipe are as follows
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon methi
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Method/Steps to Cook Kadhi Recipe
Here’s how you can make an easy Kadhi recipe at home
Step 1: The very first step will be to make a curd slurry. Take some sour curd and whisk it well until it turns smooth
Step 2: Add gram flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and some salt to the curd. Stir well and mix everything. Now add 3 cups of water and stir again. Make a smooth mixture without any lumps. If you see any lumps, stir again.
Step 3: Take 1 cup of besan in a bowl and add ajwain, red chili powder or cayenne pepper, garam masala powder, and salt.
Step 4: Add 150 gms of onions, thinly sliced. Mix the besan with onions and keep it aside for a while
Step 5: Now add water accordingly to make a thick batter. Heat some oil in a frying pan or a kadhai and add the pakora batter to it.
Step 6: Fry the pakoras until they turn golden and crisp. Now, remove the pakoras and place them over some paper towels so the excess oil is removed.
Step 7: Take a large pan and add two tablespoons of mustard oil and add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and hing. Fry on low flame and let the seeds change their color. Add chopped onions and saute for 3 minutes.
Step 8: Now add chopped ginger and garlic and some green chilies. Saute for a minute.
Step 10: Add some curry leaves and saute on low heat and add curd slurry.
Step 11: Now bring the kadhi to a boil, once it comes to a boil lower the heat and let it simmer for 6-7 minutes.
Step 12: Your Kadhi recipe is ready to eat!
Any Alternate Way to make Kadhi
If you are figuring out how to make Kadhi in an easy way then yes, there is indeed an alternative way to make Kadhi. It’s easy really easy to make and is very delicious. Here’s how you can make this easy kadhi recipe.
Step 1: Take a bowl and whisk some sour cream, chickpea flour, and water until it becomes smooth.
Step 2: Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and dried red chilies. Allow it to sizzle for a few seconds.
Step 3: Add some ginger and garlic paste and cook it for a minute.
Step 4: Now add some turmeric powder according to your preference.
Step 5: Add the sour cream mixture and salt as per your taste. Stir everything well and bring it to a boil
Step 6: Reduce the heat and let the kadhi simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Step 7: In a different pan, add some oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chili
There you go! Now you know how to make Kadhi. Your easy Kadhi recipe is ready to serve!
Nutritional value in Kadhi
Kadhi comes with a lot of nutrients. Knowing about the nutrients of kadhi is as important as knowing how to make kadhi. Here are the nutrients that Kadhi brings to the table.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
Pro Tips to Make the Best Kadhi at Home
Here are some pro tips for you to make a great Kadhi recipe at home
- Whisk the yogurt and chickpea flour until smooth: To avoid lumps in the kadhi, make sure to whisk the yogurt and chickpea flour until smooth before adding water.
- Use low heat: Kadhi should be cooked over low heat to prevent the yogurt from curdling. Stir the kadhi frequently to ensure that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Use fresh spices: Fresh spices will enhance the flavor of your kadhi recipe. If your spices have been sitting in your pantry for a long time, they may have lost their flavor. Consider buying fresh spices or grinding your own for the best taste.
- Consistency: Kadhi recipe should have a thick, creamy consistency. If it’s too thick, add a little water. If it’s too thin, cook it for a few more minutes until it thickens. If you know a bit about how to make kadhi you will be able to spot the right consistency.
- Add vegetables for extra flavor: You can add vegetables such as okra, eggplant, or spinach to the kadhi to make it more nutritious and flavorful. Simply chop the vegetables and add them to the kadhi after step 5.
- Let it rest before serving: Kadhi tastes even better when it’s left to rest for a few hours or overnight. The flavors will have a chance to meld together and the kadhi will be more flavorful.
- Garnish with fresh coriander: If you want to know how to make Kadhi more fresh, just add fresh coriander leaves to the kadhi recipe. Sprinkle some on top before serving for a fresh and aromatic touch.
Health Benefits of Kadhi
A healthy kadhi recipe can come with a lot of health benefits some of which are mentioned below
Kadhi which is mainly made with besan helps to deal with dark spots and acne as besan can increase the collagen formation in the body. Kadhi also has anti-inflammatory properties
If you have a gluten allergy you don’t have to worry while eating Kadhi since it’s gluten-free as Besan does not have gluten in it.
Helps with Bone Health
Besan and Curd is rich in calcium which helps to keep the bones healthy. People who are calcium deficient can add kadhi to their diets. Also, take a look at these 8 Calcium Rich Fruits
Kadhi has a low glycemic index because of the presence of Besan in it. It does not spike your blood sugar levels. It is a great option for people with diabetes. Here’s a blog on Diabetes – Treatment & Diagnosis that will help you know more about Diabetes.
Tips to limit the calorie in Kadhi
Kadhi is healthy and contains a lot of nutrients. However, if kadhi recipe is made with unhealthy ingredients it can be really bad for your body. Here’s how you can reduce the calories in Kadhi
Using healthy oils
Kadhi involves making of besan pakoras which require frying. If you use an unhealthy oil for frying the pakodas it will eventually increase the amount of calories in your kadhi recipe. Use healthy oils while making Kadhi
Avoid adding too much salt
Too much sodium in your diet can be really bad for you. Therefore, always make sure to use minimal salt while making a kadhi recipe.
What are some other dishes I can make with Kadhi?
Kadhi in itself is a great food choice if cooked with healthy ingredients. You can also make other dishes like Gujarati Kadhi, Punjabi Kadhi, and Coconut Kadhi recipe which is made with coconut milk.
What’s different in the Kadhi Recipe by Livofy?
Livofy provides you with food recipes that benefit your health and help you tackle issues like Diabetes, Thyroid and PCOS. Our recipes are cooked with healthy ingredients which will help you to lead a healthy lifestyle.
What is the cooking time for Kadhi?
The cooking time for Kadhi can vary depending on the ingredients you use. On average a Kadhi takes about 30 minutes to cook.
Is Kadhi healthy?
Yes, Kadhi is healthy. It contains rich amounts of calcium. It can help to aid digestion and also help you deal with acne and dark spots as Besan helps to increase collagen formation in the body. You can cook a Kadhi recipe with less oil to reduce the amount of calories in it.
What is the right time to have Kadhi?
The right time to have Kadhi is in the afternoon or in the morning because of the presence of curd in it.
Is there any side effects of eating kadhi?
Eating too much Kadhi can cause acidity or an upset stomach
How many calories does Kadhi have?
One serving of Kadhi has about 241 calories. The calories in your Kadhi recipe may vary due to the use of different ingredients.
How to make Kadhi with Tomato?
In order to make Kadhi with tomato just add tomato puree to the recipe. Adding tomato puree to the recipe will give it a more tangy taste.
How to make Kadhi with no onions and garlic?
Just skip putting garlic and onions in the cooking process. You put vegetables in your Kadhi recipe according to taste and preferences.