Biotin is a kind of Vitamin B. It helps your body break down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Also, its supplement is used for deficiency. Common uses are for hair loss, brittle nails, and other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
What is Biotin?
Also known as vitamin H, biotin is one of the B complex vitamins that help the body convert food into energy.
The word “biotin” comes from the ancient Greek word “biotos,” which means “life” or “sustenance.” B vitamins, and specifically biotin, help keep your skin, hair, eyes, liver, and nervous system healthy. It is also a crucial nutrient during pregnancy. As it’s important for embryonic growth.
Most people get the vitamin they need from eating a healthy diet. But there have been many claims that getting more b vitamin can regulate your blood sugar, promote healthy hair, skin, and nails, and help pregnant moms have healthier babies. How much B vitamin is enough, where can you get it, and what can it really do for you?
Daily allowance for Biotin Consumption
- General: There is no recommended dietary allowance. The adequate intakes (AI) for biotin are 30 mcg for adults over 18 years and pregnant women. And 35 mcg for breastfeeding women.
- Biotin deficiency: Up to 10 mg daily has been used.
- General: There is no recommended dietary allowance. The adequate intakes (AI) for biotin are 7 mcg for infants 0-12 months, 8 mcg for children 1-3 years, 12 mcg for children 4-8 years, 20 mcg for children 9-13 years, and 25 mcg for adolescents 14-18 years.
- Biotin deficiency: Up to 10 mg daily has been used in infants.
Natural food sources of Biotin
- egg yolk
- organ meats (liver, kidney)
- nuts, like almonds, peanuts, pecans, and walnuts
- nut butter
- soybeans and other legumes
- whole grains and cereals
Biotin ( For skin, hair, and nails)
It’s utilization as a medical therapy in the prescription form to treat a documented biotin deficiency with related symptoms of hair and skin changes. It’s also sometimes used in children with a specific condition called biotinidase deficiency.
It is open as a common supplement by the general public to help with hair loss and to promote hair health. Though there’s no solid scientific evidence to support these uses.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) did not approve this product for medicinal purposes. Aside from use as an additive in certain prescription multivitamins. When it takes as an herbal supplement, there aren’t universal governmental manufacturing standards in place.
You should only purchase the supplement from a reliable source. And if you need help, it’s best to speak to a trained health professional who has skills like complementary, integrative, or functional medicine.
Some Good Biotin Supplement Brands In India-
Satthwa Biotin Supplement 30 mcg with Zinc
– It contains 30 mcg of biotin which is the maximum potency. It has 25% zinc(as per RDA) that helps in tissue growth and calms the hormonal balance, thus controlling hair fall. Vitamin B7 present in this supplement promotes hair growth. This is the best 100% vegetarian and gluten-free dietary supplement in India. You can take it daily and after meals for better results.
Healthvit Biotin Hair, Skin & Nails 10,000 mcg
-This biotin comes in 10000 mcg and takes care of your hair, skin, and nails. It even promotes energy metabolism. Also, This product is 100% vegetarian and even comes in 5000 mcg. It is very easy to take this supplement. Twice a day consumption of this supplement makes your hair, nails, and skin healthy.
Nature’s Bounty Biotin 10,000 mcg-
It contains 120 soft gels which contain 10,000 mcg of biotin and are easy to swallow. These soft gels help to maintain your hair, nails, and skin. Apart from that, this supplement also takes care of your energy and metabolism.
Amway Nutrilite Biotin Cherry Plus tablets
-Amway Nutrilite biotin cherry plus tablets are unflavoured and the best selling dietary supplement in India. Also, These tablets are extremely helpful in controlling hair fall and brittle nails. Other than that, the presence of grape seed extracts does wonders on your skin by controlling the premature aging of the skin cells. However, these tablets are non-vegetarian.
- Solgar Super High Potency Biotin-This comes in 10,000 mcg and is responsible to maintain the health of hair, skin, and nails. This supplement is also available in 5000 mcg and is 100% vegetarian.
This vitamin variant plays a pivotal role in hair growth. It’s an essential vitamin required for your skin, hair, and nails health. Make sure to choose the right supplements for you!