Indian cuisine is known for its fragrant and delectable vegetarian appetizer known as mushroom tikka. It is a twist on the classic chicken tikka, using soft pieces of mushroom marinated in a spice and yogurt combination before being cooked to perfection on the grill or in the oven. Read on to know more about the easy Mushroom Tikka Recipe.
About Mushroom Tikka Recipe
For those who appreciate the flavors of conventional tikka meals but would prefer a meatless alternative, mushroom tikka is a great vegetarian choice. Both aficionados of mushrooms and those who enjoy Indian food will enjoy this dish’s flavorful and gratifying combination of earthy and meaty mushrooms with a rich blend of spices.
How To Make Mushroom Tikka at Home (Step Wise)
Here’s how to make mushroom tikka in brief, easy steps:-
Step 1: In a bowl, mix yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice to make a smooth marinade.
Step 2: Add the cleaned and trimmed mushrooms to the marinade. Coat them well with the marinade, ensuring all the mushrooms are evenly coated. Let them marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Step 3: Thread the marinated mushrooms onto skewers, leaving a little space between each mushroom.
Step 4: Grill the skewered mushrooms on medium-high heat or bake them in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and slightly charred.
Step 5: Once cooked, remove the mushroom tikka from the skewers and transfer them to a serving plate. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot as an appetizer with mint chutney or tamarind chutney.
Preparation for Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Here’s what you need to be prepared to make this easy mushroom tikka recipe:
- Clean and trim the mushrooms.
- Strain the yogurt if watery.
- Prepare a ginger-garlic paste by combining equal parts grated ginger and minced garlic.
- Measure out the required amounts of turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and red chili powder.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice.
- Wash and finely chop fresh coriander leaves.
Ingredients for Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Let’s look at the ingredients for the easy mushroom tikka recipe:
- Turmeric powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Garam masala
- Red chili powder
- Lemon juice
- Fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish
Method/Steps for Cooking Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Let’s understand how to make mushroom tikka by following these steps:
Step 1: Clean and trim the mushrooms: Gently wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris. Trim the stems if desired.
Step 2: Prepare the marinade: In a bowl, combine yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix well to form a smooth marinade.
Step 3: Marinate the mushrooms: Add the cleaned mushrooms to the marinade and coat them evenly. Allow the mushrooms to marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour, or longer for a more intense flavor. You can refrigerate them during this time.
Step 4: Preheat the grill or oven: If grilling, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If baking, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Step 5: Skewer the mushrooms: Thread the marinated mushrooms onto skewers, leaving a little space between each mushroom.
Step 6: Cook the mushroom tikka: If grilling, place the skewers on the preheated grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes, turning them occasionally until the mushrooms are tender and slightly charred. If baking, place the skewers on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through and golden.
Step 7: Garnish: Once cooked, remove the mushroom tikka from the skewers and transfer them to a serving plate. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves for added freshness.
Step 8: Serve and enjoy: Mushroom tikka is best enjoyed hot. Serve it as an appetizer with mint chutney or tamarind chutney on the side. It can also be used as a filling in wraps, and sandwiches, or enjoyed as a side dish with roti (Indian bread) or naan. Check out our mint chutney recipe.
Any Alternate Way to Make Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Looking for ways how to make mushroom tikka enjoyable? Here, we’ll look at an alternate easy mushroom tikka recipe that is packed with nutrition and taste.
Step 1: Making the marinade Yoghurt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, cumin powder, paprika, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice should all be combined in a bowl.
Step 2: Add the mushrooms: Gently stir in the cleaned, trimmed, and marinated mushrooms, making sure they are well covered. For 15 to 20 minutes, let them marinate.
Step 3: To cook the mushrooms, preheat a skillet with a bit of oil over medium heat. Add the marinated mushrooms and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and just beginning to brown.
Step 4: For a garnish, top the cooked mushroom tikka with freshly cut coriander leaves and a little amount of chaat masala (optional).
Step 5: Prepare and eat: Serve the hot mushroom tikka as an appetizer or side dish after transferring it to a serving platter. For an added kick, you may also serve it with mint chutney or a squeeze of lemon.
Nutritional Value in Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Here’s an approximate nutritional breakdown for an easy mushroom tikka recipe:
|Nutrients||Amount per Serving|
Pro Tips to Make the Best Mushroom Tikka Recipe at Home
Here are some pro tips on how to make mushroom tikka recipe at home:
- For greater texture, choose firm, fresh mushrooms.
- To enable the flavors to meld, marinate the mushrooms for at least 30 minutes.
- For a well-balanced and tasty marinade, combine yogurt with a variety of spices.
- The mushroom tikka should be grilled or baked over medium-high heat for a lovely char and smokey flavor.
- For extra freshness and tang, garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and a splash of lemon juice.
Health Benefits of Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Mushroom Tikka recipe, when prepared using nutritious ingredients and cooked healthily, can offer several health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits provided by this easy mushroom tikka recipe:
- Nutrient-rich: Mushrooms are high in nutrients, including vitamins (including vitamin D and B vitamins), minerals (such as potassium and selenium), and dietary fiber, although they are low in calories and fat. Read more about nutrient-rich foods.
- Antioxidant properties: Mushrooms have antioxidant capabilities that may help lower the risk of chronic illnesses by preventing cells from being harmed by dangerous free radicals.
- Immune support: Mushrooms include substances like beta-glucans, which have immuno-modulating properties and may strengthen the body’s natural defense systems. This makes mushroom tikka a good source of immune support.
- Heart-healthy: By helping to maintain healthy cholesterol levels and lowering the risk of cardiovascular illnesses, the low-fat and high-fiber content of mushroom tikka can assist to promote heart health.
- Weight loss: A tasty and filling vegetarian choice that can be enjoyed as a nutritious snack or appetizer is mushroom tikka. Its low-calorie and high-fiber composition can support weight loss objectives by encouraging feelings of fullness. Check out our weight loss plans.
Tips to Limit the Calorie in Mushroom Tikka Recipe
Here are some tips on how to make a mushroom tikka recipe with fewer calories:
- Use low-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt: Opt for low-fat or Greek yogurt instead of full-fat yogurt to reduce the calorie content of the marinade while still maintaining a creamy texture and tangy flavor.
- Limit or eliminate oil: Instead of sautéing or grilling the mushroom tikka with oil, try using a non-stick cooking spray or baking them in the oven on a lined baking sheet. This helps reduce the added calories from fat.
- Increase vegetable content: Add more vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or cherry tomatoes to the skewers along with the mushrooms. This adds bulk, increases the nutritional value, and reduces the calorie density per serving.
- Reduce or omit high-calorie toppings: While garnishing with fresh coriander leaves adds flavor, consider skipping high-calorie toppings like butter or cream-based sauces, and opt for a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkle of chaat masala instead.
- Control portion sizes: Serve smaller portion sizes of mushroom tikka as a snack or appetizer, rather than a main course. This helps in moderating calorie intake while still enjoying the flavors.
What’s Different in the Mushroom Tikka Recipe by Livofy?
Mushroom tikka recipes can differ in terms of ingredients, preparation methods, and flavors. Each recipe may have its own unique combination of condiments to create delicious and nutritious mushroom tikka. The complexity and cooking time can vary, allowing you to choose a recipe that fits your schedule. Trying out different recipes will help you discover your preferred version of mushroom tikka that suits your taste buds and dietary preferences.
What is the cooking time for the Mushroom Tikka recipe?
Overall, the entire process of making a mushroom tikka recipe from preparation to cooking, takes approximately 1 to 1.5 hours, including marination time.
Is Mushroom Tikka healthy?
Given that mushrooms are high in nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber yet low in calories and fat, mushroom tikka can be a nutritious dish. Further enhancing the tikka’s healthfulness is grilling or baking it in little oil. However, for a well-balanced dinner, it’s vital to take into account the marinade and portion sizes as the overall healthiness of the dish also depends on the precise recipe and components used.
How many calories does the Mushroom Tikka recipe have?
The exact calorie content of mushroom tikka can vary depending on factors such as the specific recipe, portion size, and cooking methods used. However, on average, a serving of mushroom tikka can range from 120 to 150 calories per serving. This estimate includes the calories from mushrooms, marinade ingredients like yogurt, spices, and any additional oil used for cooking.
How to make Mushroom Tikka recipe interesting?
Here’s how to make mushroom tikka recipe more interesting:
Try incorporating unique spices like smoked paprika or cumin seeds, adding a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice for a zesty kick, and experimenting with fresh herbs like mint or cilantro for added freshness and flavor. These simple additions can enhance the taste and make your mushroom tikka recipe more exciting.
Are there any side effects of Mushroom Tikka?
Most people can normally eat mushroom tikka without any problems. It’s crucial to keep in mind that some people can be allergic to mushrooms or have sensitivity to particular spices or marinade components. Additionally, some people may get gastric pain if they consume spicy mushroom tikka in excess or in excessive numbers. Always take mushroom tikka in moderation, and be aware of any allergies or sensitivities you may have.
How to make Mushroom Tikka recipe with maximum flavor?
Here’s how to make mushroom tikka recipe with maximum flavor:
When making mushroom tikka, marinate the mushrooms for a long time so that the flavors may properly permeate the mushrooms. Use a blend of flavorful spices in the marinade, such as cumin, coriander, garam masala, and paprika. The tikka may also be grilled over high heat or on a charcoal grill to give a smokey flavor that improves the entire flavor.
How to make Mushroom Tikka recipe with a spicy twist?
Here’s how to make mushroom tikka recipe with a spicy twist:
Increase the quantity of red chili powder or add a dash of cayenne pepper to the marinade for Mushroom Tikka for a spicy edge. Add spicy ingredients like chili flakes or black pepper for further spiciness. For a fiery flavor profile, you may alternatively marinate the mushrooms in a hot yogurt-based sauce that also contains minced green chilies.
How to make mushroom tikka using an air fryer?
Here’s how to make mushroom tikka recipe using an air fryer:
Start with marinating the mushrooms in a yogurt-based marinade with your preferred spices before making the mushroom tikka in an air fryer. Place the marinated mushrooms in the air fryer basket in a single layer after preheating it. The mushrooms should be cooked and slightly browned after approximately 10 to 12 minutes of cooking at roughly 375°F (190°C), rotating the pan halfway through. Squeeze some lemon juice over the savory mushroom tikka and top it with some fresh coriander.