Mexican cuisine in essence is very similar to Indian cuisine. Both are packed with a variety of strong and vibrant flavours that blend perfectly with each other. The generous use of spices and their unconventional combinations take you on a culinary journey. Mexican food is truly a delight to consume. These delicious and healthy chicken enchiladas might seem complicated to cook at first glance. However, they are really not as hard to cook as they might seem!
So here’s an easy to cook recipe for healthy chicken enchiladas.
- Olive oil (1 tsp)
- Garlic cloves, minced (4)
- Chipotle peppers (2)
- Adobo sauce (1 tbsp)
- Tomato sauce (1 can, 450g)
- Oregano (1 tsp)
- Chilli powder (½ tsp)
- Ground cumin (½ tsp)
- Low sodium vegetable or chicken broth (1 cup)
- Sea salt (¼ tsp)
- Fresh pepper (¼ tsp)
- Olive oil (1 ½ tsp)
- Chicken (about 2 breasts, cooked and shredded)
- Corn (½ cup)
- Black beans (½ cup, cooked)
- Onion, medium yellow (½ , diced)
- Garlic cloves, minced (3)
- Cilantro (¼ cup)
- Chilli powder (½ tsp)
- Cumin (¼ tsp)
- Enchilada sauce (½ cup, prepared above)
- 7-inch whole wheat tortillas (8)
- Shredded Mexican cheese (1 ½ cups)
- Green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Jalapeños (optional)
- plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- sliced avocado (optional)
To Prepare the sauce:
- Place a medium-sized sauce man on a medium flame. Add in the olive oil and garlic and cook for about 1-2 mins. Once the garlic is nice and fragrant, add in the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato sauce, oregano, chilli powder, cumin, broth, salt and pepper. Now cook and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the pot simmer for 5-10 mins on a low flame. This will help thicken the sauce.
- Set aside and let cool, until it’s ready to be used.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium-high flame. Now, saute the garlic and onions until they start to turn translucent (about 4-5 mins). Once the onions and garlic are done, add in the chicken, corn, black beans, cilantro, chilli powder, cumin and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. Cook for another 4-5 mins whilst stirring occasionally to mix well. Set aside.
- Use a 13 by 9-inch baking dish for the enchiladas. Spray the baking dish with non stick spray. Now, fill in each tortilla with the chicken, vegetable and black bean filling we prepared (¼ to ⅓ cup per tortilla). Sprinkle some cheese into each of the tortillas and roll them up.
- Now that the tortillas are ready, place them in the baking dish seam-side down. Once all the tortillas are placed in the baking dish, pour in the sauce over the tortillas and top with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for about 20-25 mins (Depending upon whether the cheese has melted and the enchiladas are warm throughout).
- Serve hot with the toppings of your choice!
Serving: 1 (without toppings) | Calories: 288 kcal | Carbohydrate: 34g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Fat: 9g | Protein: 18g | Sodium: 753mg
Here’s Why You Should Try These Healthy Chicken Enchiladas!
There is often a misconception of Mexican food being unhealthy. Well this dish for sure puts these rumours to rest. Just like every other cuisine, there’s always ways to make your food healthier. This can majorly be done by using a better quality and type of ingredients.
These healthy chicken enchiladas are nutrition packed. The use of high fiber and natural & unprocessed ingredients make them a great choice of healthy food for women suffering from PCOS.
Whether it be a party with your friends or a peaceful dinner with your family, these healthy chicken enchiladas will have everyone coming for seconds!
For more such unique and delicious recipes, stay tuned with us. Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Youtube Channel!