Learn how to make this lower-carb zucchini lasagna! Every piece has the flavors of classic lasagne but with vegetable noodles instead of pasta. Each coating is rich in garlicky flavor, melted Italian cheeses, and lots of basil for freshness!
To prepare this zoodle creation, all you have to do is coat your zucchini slices into a baking dish with cooked lean ground beef and a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, egg, and spices. Shield your casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove the foil and let it bake for another few minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Keep it aside for 10 minutes before slicing it into nine equal slices.
- 400g lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium, 225g each sliced zucchini,
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 450 g shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Brown meat and season with salt in a medium saucepan. When cooked, drain in a colander to eliminate any fat.
- Pour olive oil into the pan and saute garlic and onions for about 2 minutes. Put back the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Put on low heat for at least half an hour, covered. Do not add more water, the sauce should be thick.
- Now, dice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices, add lightly salt, and set aside for 10 minutes. Zucchini has too much water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, dab excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a grill pan to medium-high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Position on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Whisk well ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg in a bowl.
- In a 9×12 casserole, scatter 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Sprinkle with half a cup ricotta cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. The final layer is topped with remaining zucchini and sauce, covered with foil, and baked for 30 minutes. Unwrap the foil and bake for 20 minutes for drying the sauce and then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.
- Set aside for about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information Per Serving :
- Calories: 275kcal,
- Carbohydrates: 13g,
- Protein: 26g,
- Fat: 13g,
To all the lasagna lovers , try out this zucchini lasagna with your friends and fam !
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!