Vegetable Poha is one of the most cooked breakfast foods in India! This is one of the most popular healthy Indian breakfast dishes made with flattened rice known as poha.
Replace the potatoes in poha with vegetables. Adding vegetables in place of potatoes reduces the calories, bringing into acceptable Glycemic Index range. It helps to bulk up the recipe! Use less quantity of flattened rice/poha. We replaced the white rice poha with red rice poha. Red rice poha is better in nutrition and is unpolished.
Here is its quick recipe:
Course: Breakfast | Cuisine: Indian
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Servings: 3
- 150 grams Red Rice poha medium thick
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon peanuts shelled
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 Tablespoon Cabbage chopped
- Take 2 Tablespoon Bell pepper chopped capsicum
- 2 Tablespoon peas
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- leaves coriander for garnish
- Sev Bhujia for garnish
- Take the red rice poha in a bowl, add ½ cup of water, mix it well and set aside or rinse the poha with cold water, drain out excess water immediately and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and shadow fry peanuts in the oil. Remove them and keep them aside to add later.
- In the same oil add in the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start popping add green chili and curry leaves. Add capsicum, cabbage, and frozen peas and cook these vegetables for a few minutes till soft. Keep stirring that occasionally.
- Now add salt to taste and turmeric powder as well as red chili powder.
- Add tomatoes, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4-5 tbsp of water and cook tomatoes till these are pulpy and cooked.
- Mix everything together and then add in the soaked red poha.
- Turn heat to low and mix all the ingredients.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and finally add in coriander leaves and fried peanuts.
- Mix everything well and switch off the heat.
- Serve it hot and top with a generous sprinkle of bhujia sev.
- Enjoy the hot bowl of vegetable poha with a steaming cup of Indian masala chai.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 167 mg | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 442IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg
So, what could be a better situation when your comfort breakfast of poha is now vegetable poha. It is a healthier version so you can enjoy it in a guilt-free manner. Do try this recipe!
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!