This Spicy grilled calamari salad has all the confines of the much-adored appetizer—crunch from the peanuts, tomatoes, a bit of spice—but so much more.
Thai squid-beef salad is a classic example. The only “leaves” in it are basil leaves, but the combination of fish sauce,chili garlic sauce, cucumbers, and peanuts in a lime dressing with fish sauce and tamari tastes light, lively and refreshing.
- 400g squid, cleaned, tentacles reserved for another use
- 1⁄2 Tbsp peanut or canola oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1⁄2 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 4 cups arugula, or basil leaves,
- One mini cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts
- Preheat a grill.
- Hurl the squid bodies with the oil, and generously season with salt and lots of black pepper.
- When the grill is hot, pour the squid and grill for about 5 minutes, until lightly charred all over.
- Take the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili sauce in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
- Slice the grilled squid into 1⁄2″ rings.
- In a salad bowl, toss the squid, basil leaves, cucumber, tomato, onion, and peanuts with the dressing.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates.
Nutritional Information per serving :
- Calories- 240
- Fat- 15g
- Carbs- 10g
- Protein- 19g
The simple dressing can be a basic blend of mustard, balsamic vinegar and good olive oil, but a little garlic and basil round out the flavor.
You could also hurl in grated cheddar or Monterey Jack, or crumbled blue cheese; or add pine nuts or toasted almonds; you could even use, as our friend did, sun-dried cranberries.
An amazing leafless grilled salad recipe! Must-try!
Get started your with Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!