Sweet potato and bean quesadillas are a delicious Mexican-inspired vegan dinner recipe! Crispy tortillas are packed with a creamy sweet potato cheese + spicy black bean and corn mixture. They are satisfying, filling, comforting, and flavor-packed. Couple them alongside guacamole, salsa, and pico de gallo to complete the meal!
SWEET POTATO CHEESE
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- half tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 6 flour tortillas*
- A tbsp oil
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- Half tsp chili powder
- Half tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a pot. Put cashews in a bowl. Splash boiling water over the cashews and soak for 20 minutes. After, drain the water.
- While the cashews are soaking, cook the sweet potatoes. Boil water in a large pot. Adjon cubed sweet potatoes. Cook for 10-15minutes or until fork tender. After, drain the water.
- Put soaked cashews, cooked sweet potatoes, non-dairy milk, lemon juice , nutritional yeast, salt, and black pepper to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Warm a skillet over medium-low heat, Pour oil and diced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are fragrant and translucent. Adjoin minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour corn, black beans,chili powder, chipotle powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until warm and fragrant.
- Assemble quesadillas: Layer the sweet potato cheese across half a tortilla. Put some spoonfuls of the black bean/corn mixture on top. Fold the tortilla in half.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat. Pour 1 tsp oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully transfer the quesadilla onto the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown, then turn over to cook the other side. Take out from the skillet and slice into triangles. Repeat until all tortillas are used.
- You can serve the dish with guacamole, salsa, and pico de gallo.
NUTRITION INFORMATION :
- Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 16g
These sweet potato black bean quesadillas are:
- Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free
- Easily gluten-free with Gluten-free tortillas
- Spicy, smoky, savory, yet subtly sweet
- Surprisingly easy to make // uses pantry staples
- Made without cheese and without meat
- Vegetarian approved and meat-eater approved
- A crowd-pleasing vegan meal for the whole family!
Get started your with Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!