The most economical and oldest form of exercise- Yoga. 5000 years old transcript the Indus valley civilization on fragile palm leaves has paved the way to an innovative weight loss therapy. Yoga was mentioned in the Indian collection of Vedic Sanskrit hymns, the Rigveda.
Researchers have traced yoga to over a thousand years ago, and its rich history is divided into periods of innovation, practice, and development. Yoga was purified and developed by the Rishis and Brahmans who documented their training in the Upanishads.
This practice was later flourished over several years to what now is practiced as Yoga. The discipline has 5 basic principles:
The practice of yoga supports physical, mental, and spiritual development that allows you to create the best version of yourself.
Yoga may also be an effective tool to help you lose weight, especially the more active forms of yoga. And you may find that the awareness gained through a gentle, relaxing yoga practice helps you to lose weight as well. Many professionals agree that yoga works in different ways to bring about a healthy weight.
Is Yoga Good For Weight Loss?
Yes, You Can Lose Weight With Yoga. It’s a good source of exercise. Many individuals believe that Yoga alone does not promote weight loss. Yoga, when combined with healthy eating, has proven beneficial as it helps to lose weight along with keeping your mind and body healthy. Yoga increases your mindfulness and how you relate to your body. You will start hunting out food that is healthy instead of binging on food that can increase your fat accumulation.
Losing weight has two important aspects, healthy eating, and exercise. Yoga poses for weight loss demand these aspects. Yoga is not just about a few poses that toughen you. It has more benefits to offer such as
- Increased flexibility
- Improved respiration
- Improved energy and vitality
- Balanced metabolism
- Improved athletic health
- Increased muscle tone
- Improved cardio health
- Weight reduction
- Stress management
Stress can have a noxious effect on your body and mind. It can reveal itself in the form of pain, anxiety, insomnia, and the inability to concentrate. Most times, stress is the main cause of weight gain. Yoga can help you cope with stress. The physical benefits of Yoga, combined with stress management, helps a person to lose weight and maintain good physical and mental health.
Yoga for weight loss – The food factor
Yoga refreshes the system and brings so much sense into you that you will not overeat. Once a certain level of alertness arises in your body, your body becomes such, it will just eat what is needed for it. It will not eat anything more.
This is not because you are controlling or regulating your life in any way or because somebody is telling you to go on a diet. If you do some other exercises or dieting processes, you are always trying to control yourself. With yoga forms, you do not have to control yourself.
You just do the practices. This takes care of the system in such a way that it will not allow you to eat more than needed. This is the big difference between yoga.
How often should one do yoga for weight loss?
For the best weight-loss results, It is recommended to do yoga three times a week. Stay active and get your heart rate up on the other three to four days as well, whether through cardio, weightlifting, or HIIT workouts of 45 minutes to an hour. And keep your nutrition in mind, too. Exercise alone without dieting makes losing weight hard. Weight loss occurs when you burn more calories than you eat.If you eat healthily and burn calories, though, the results will come, and yoga has a place in the process. Start with this half-hour power flow to relax, rejuvenate, and work up a sweat.
- If you’re a fresher, start slowly and gradually build up your practice. This allows you to build up power and flexibility and prevent injuries. If you don’t have time for a full class on certain days, do a self-practice for at least 20 minutes. Allow yourself one full day of rest each week. Couple yoga with activities such as walking, cycling, or swimming for added cardiovascular benefits.
Make a habit to avoid weighing yourself directly after a yoga class, especially if it’s a hot yoga class, since you may lose water weight during the class. Instead, weigh yourself at the same time each day.
Some Yoga Poses For Weight loss
1. Boat Pose: This yoga pose is a full-body exercise, which tore up your core and enhanced muscle strength. It strengthens the muscles and promotes metabolism. Thus burns more calories and promotes weight loss.
Here\’s how to perform it :
- Sit straight with extended legs on the yoga mat
- Now bent the knees.
- Lift your feet up of the floor as though your shin is parallel to the floor
- Extend your hands parallel to the floor
- Control the pose for around 30 seconds
- Now release and repeat it for 5 times
2. Warrior Pose- Just like a warrior shreds yourself up with the warrior pose.\’
Here\’s how to perform it :
- Stand straight with your feet together
- Stretch your legs apart back and forth
- Now bend the knees of your leading leg and keep the other one parallel to the floor.
- Raise your hands over your head.
- Hold the pose as much as you can (never stress yourself too much that might end in pain)
- Now switch the side and repeat it as though.
3. Sun Salutation- Also called Surya Namaskar, the most popular yoga pose to reduce belly fat. There around 12 breath poses that tone all over the body. This single yoga pose involves various other poses too. The step by step method to do a fresh and refreshing Surya Namaskar is listed below:
- Stand straight on your legs
- Inhale deeply and lift your arms overhead
- Bent forward and exhale out
- Now jump your feet back to the plank pose.
- Hold it for around 5 full breaths.
- Next, drop down your knees, and place your lower body to the floor
- Hold out your legs keeping your hands under the shoulders
- Now inhale halfway to turn into the cobra pose.
- Switch to downward dog facing pose by exhaling.
- Hold it for 5 breathes
- While exhaling, stand up to your feet on top of the floor and bend.
- Inhale and lift up your arms overhead.
- Exhale and relax.
That’s quite a few steps. But as a learner try and practice it one by one and as a pro burn it out by rigorous practice.
4. Cobra Pose- Also called as Bhujangasana, it is almost akin to a snake’s pose. It is good to reduce the fat of your upper body and abdominal muscles. Not recommended for pregnant women.
Here\’s How to do it :
- Lie down facing the mat, with feet flat on the floor and palms down to either side.
- Lean on the floor with both hands and make sure that your fingers are just below the shoulder muscles.
- Pull your shoulders slowly, slightly backward.
- Give focus to your abs and bend back more with the belly button towards the spine.
- Keeping your hands, hips, and feet firmly on to the floor, lift up your upper torso, keeping your chin upwards
- Hold it for 4-5 full breaths.
- Push yourself higher with each exhale.
5. Seated forward bend pose– This yoga pose provides deep stretches for your entire back from heels to the neck. It also aids stress management, thereby controlling your stress eateries and contributing to weight loss.
Here\’s How to do it :
- Sit straight with straight legs as well on the mat.
- Bring your arms straight out to each side, then slowly overhead.
- Inhale and draw up your spine straight
- As you exhale, bend forward and try to touch your feet with your hands.
- Make sure on each inhales to lengthen your spine and each exhale deepens to your forward bend. You become an expert, once you hold your feet completely bending forward.
6. Chair Pose- The chair pose, as the name sounds, is to make a posture as though you are sitting in a chair.
Here\’s How to do it :
- – First, stand straight with legs together and arms straight up above your head.
- – Bet both the knees simultaneously. Not too much, but you should see your feet while looking down in the posture.
- – Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- – Now relax and repeat. It gives strain to your thighs and muscles, reducing the extra fat absorbed.
7. Gas releasing Pose– One of the effective yoga poses to reduce belly fat and contribute to weight loss. It releases the state of being blotted due to captured gas and boosts digestion.
Here\’s How to Perform it :
- – Lie back straight on the floor, with stretched legs.
- – Now fold one of your legs at the knee
- – Slightly bent the knee and try touching it to your chest
- – Join the knees with your arms around it
- – Now try touching your nose to the knees lifting your neck forward.
- – Hold it for a few seconds and repeat it with the other side
- – Now do it with both legs simultaneously. You do look like a fetus in mother’s belly clinching to yourself.
8. Triangle Pose– Aka Trikonasana –The ultimate Triangle pose is a highly useful yoga pose for several health issues. But, it does not directly contribute to your weight loss. It enhances digestion and thus reduces the fat deposits in the belly, thereby the best yoga to reduce belly fat. It also includes muscles reducing your born fat.
Here\’s How to Perform it :
- Stand straight with your hands overhead
- Now widen your legs sideways.
- Stretch yourself down with your hand touching the same feet. Just like a triangle
- Your upper hand should be straight facing the roof along with your eyes.
- Hold up the pose for around 5-6 seconds
- Now return back and repeat on the other side.
These are some super productive Yoga poses for you to adhere to reduce your body fat and enhance weight loss. You might not notice a one-day change in your weight, because it is not the strenuous exercise that you used to do, tiring yourself, starving up. But along with promoting weight loss, it also transfers you as an entirely different human being, uplifting your life to a state of spiritual, mental, and physical enhancement. Let’s begin a soothing endeavor of a healthy, fit, and firm life, making yoga a daily habit.
Yoga can not only bring tranquillity but also can help you lose weight. Yoga is an ancient treatment for a well-toned and healthy body and a stress-free mind. It not only aids in weight loss but also promotes a balanced physical and mental wellbeing.
To lose weight, transforming yourself into a healthier version, and maintaining the weight, subscribe to Keto India for a personalized keto consultation. Good luck on your weight loss journey! Stay tuned for more such health content! Also, don\’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Ketogenic Diet, Health, and Wellness!