Moong Dal Khichdi is a very light, nutritious, and delicious recipe from India. Made by cooking mung bean & rice together and gently flavored with Indian spices, it’s the comfort food of India.
Khichdi is a vegetarian recipe from the Indian subcontinent which is made by cooking rice, lentil, and sometimes vegetables together in one pot over low heat until everything blends well. It is very light, nutritious, and tastes delicious.
Here is its quick recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 3 people | Calories: 307kcal
- 1/2 cup short/ medium grain rice
- 1/2 cup split skinned mung bean dhooli moong dal
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- take 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee/ any other cooking oil of your choice
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Mix rice and lentils. Wash nicely and keep aside.
Heat ghee/ oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds or till they become fragrant.
Next, add the asafoetida powder, saute for a few seconds before adding the garlic.
Saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
Add onion and cook till it becomes translucent.
Now add the tomatoes, ginger, chili, salt, and turmeric powder. Saute for around 2 minutes or till the tomatoes turn mushy.
Add the rice, lentil, chopped coriander leaves, and water.
Put on the lid of the cooker and cook till 2 whistles on medium flame.
Drizzle some ghee on top.
Serve hot with pickle, salad, and papadums.
- You can also cook it in a normal pot. Just add around 7 cups of water and cook on medium flame till you get the desired consistency. It will take around 45 minutes to one hour if you use a normal pot.
- Always use small or medium-sized grain to make Khichdi.
- You can also add vegetables like green peas, spinach, carrot, cauliflower to make it even more nutritious.