Adai is a protein-rich dosa made in south India and prepared with rice and lentils. It is a mixture of brown rice, whole wheat, oats, and lentils. A protein-packed whole breakfast recipe- Whole Grain Adai!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat(wheat berries)
- half cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup barley
- one-fourth cup chana dal
- one-fourth cup Toor dal
- quarter cup moong dal
- quarter cup urad dal
- 1/4 cup masoor dal
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1-inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 6 red chilies
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- oil, for making adais
- Rinse the dal, rice, and wheat in several changes of water.
- Keep it in sufficient water for 6-8 hours.
- 60 minutes before grinding the batter, soak the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and broken red chilies in a small bowl with about 1/4 cup of water. This is optional but ensures that the seeds and the red chilly are ground well.
- Set the rice, dals, and wheat along with the contents of the small bowl in a wet grinder and grind until you get a nice fluffy batter.
- The mixture should still have some grit, and should not quite be a paste. Remove the batter and set it aside.
- The uniformity would be slightly thicker than the idli/dosa batter. Contrary to idli/dosa batter, this doesn’t have to ferment and can be used to make adais as soon as it has been grounded.
- When starting to make the adias, take the portion of the batter that you estimate you would use up and add salt, onions, and cilantro. Adding these to the entirety of your batter would make the batter give out water and you would end up with runny and not-so-crispy adias.
- Warm a griddle over medium-high heat and make a thick dosa, drizzle with oil. Let cook on one side until browned. Flip and cook the other side. Enjoy hot crispy adais!
Nutrition Information Per serving :
- Calories- 114
- Carbs- 21.8g
- Protein- 3.8g
- Fiber- 1.8g
- Fat- 1.4g
You can serve Whole grain Adai with coconut chutney or some butter, jaggery, or brown sugar too.
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!