What are Flax Seeds?
There are a number of seeds that are recommended to be consumed while on a calorie deficit diet. One of them is flax seeds for weight loss. Given its versatility and crispy texture, it can complement a number of weight loss recipes. Less commonly known as Linum usitatissimum, Flax seeds can be best friends with your weight loss goals. Let’s understand the various health benefits of Flax Seeds for weight loss:-
- Nutrient Powerhouse: Flax seed nutrition facts are worth taking note of. Flax seeds for weight loss are essential because they are packed with nutrients like Fiber, Magnesium, Iron, and Calcium which are important for day-to-day bodily functions. Hence, consuming flax seeds becomes even more critical.
- Lower Cholesterol Levels: There are a number of researches that suggest that Flax seeds also help to lower cholesterol levels in the body. These studies indicate that a daily intake of Flax seeds can help lower the bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- Aids Weight Management: Since Flax seeds are a good source of fiber, it helps to slower the digestion process and thus, makes you feel fuller for longer. Hence, it can help you curb your cravings and aid your weight management goals. You can also follow a 7 days diet plan for weight loss.
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar Levels: Flax seeds for weight loss not only help to lose weight but also help to stabilize blood sugar levels. Since flax seeds have a considerable amount of soluble fiber, which slows the sugar absorption in the body. Thus, stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- Easy to use: An advantage that is often overlooked, Flax seeds for weight loss are extremely versatile and easy to use which means that these can be incorporated into a variety of weight loss recipes.
How to use Flax Seeds for Weight Loss?
As mentioned above, flax seeds for weight loss are extremely easy to use and can be used in a variety of recipes. Listed below are some of the healthy recipes that you can make with Flax Seeds
- Banana Oats Flaxseed Smoothie
- Flax seeds Energy Bars or Granola
- Spinach Tuna Flaxseeds Salad
- Ground Flaxseed Drink
Let’s understand the steps to make each of these recipes, in greater detail.
1. Banana Oats Flaxseed Smoothie
Often consumed for breakfast, this recipe is the perfect blend of health, taste and nutrition.
Let’s see the step-by-step guide on how to make this recipe with flax seeds for weight loss.
Step 1: Peel and cut the ripe banana into pieces.
Step 2: In a blender jar, add the banana chunks, rolled oats, flaxseeds, milk, yogurt (if using) and honey. Blend until smooth.
Step 3: If you want a thicker consistency, use less milk or more oats. If you want less tick consistency, add a splash of milk and blend again.
Step 4: If you want your smoothie cold, add a handful of ice cubes to the blender and blend until they are mixed well
Step 5: Serve the smoothie in a glass and sprinkle some flax seeds on top. Your Banana Oats Flaxseed smoothie is now ready!
2. Flax seeds Energy Bars or Granola
A healthier and equally tasty alternative to your regular bars is this homemade Flax seeds bar. It is very easy to make and can be made with limited ingredients at home. Let’s dive straight into its recipe using flax seeds for weight loss!
Step 1: In a bowl, add rolled oats, chopped nuts, flax seeds and dry fruits. Combine them well.
Step 2: On the gas stove, place a saucepan. Add honey and peanut butter. Stir it until combined well and take it off the stove. Now, add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract.
Step 3: Now, pour the dry and wet mixture together and mix well, until it starts to take shape.
Step 4: Pour this mixture onto a flat surface and let it sit in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
Step 5: Remove the tray from the fridge and cut it into small bars.
Step 6: Lastly, store it at room temperature.
3. Spinach Tuna Flaxseeds Salad
We know that the name sounds very boring! But in reality, this is one of the tastiest salads you’ll ever have! Hence, you need to give this a try. What’s more, you ask? This recipe is completely keto-friendly, so don’t forget to add this to your list of keto recipes!
Let’s see how to make it using flax seeds for weight loss:-
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, add the baby spinach leaves along with flaked tuna.
Step 2: Now add cherry tomatoes and red onion on top of it.
Step 3: In it, add flax seeds and combine everything together.
Step 4: In a separate bowl, prepare the salad dressing. For that, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt and pepper.
Step 5: Now, drizzle the dressing on the salad and top it up with Feta cheese
Step 6: Enjoy this keto-friendly Spinach Tuna salad made with Flax seeds for weight loss.(Know more about Flax seeds nutrition)
4. Ground Flaxseed Drink
Ideal for your morning routine, this drink is very healthy and very easy to prepare as well. Since it is just Flax seeds and water, it is a low-calorie drink. You can use a food calorie calculator to measure its calories. Let’s see how to make it using flax seeds for weight loss!
Step 1: In a glass, add ground flax seed and water. Mix both of them well.
Step 2: Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
Step 3: Now, you can either choose to add lemon juice to it for enhanced flavour or sweeten it with honey.
Step 4: Lastly, serve this nutritious drink and let it work its magic!
Your healthy drink using flax seeds for weight loss is now ready!
How effective are Flax seeds for Weight Loss?
Now that you know the various ways in which you can add flax seeds for weight loss in your daily routine, it is equally important to understand the science behind it! Let’s dive a little deeper into how flax seeds aid weight loss.
- Fiber-rich: Flax seeds are high in both soluble and insoluble fiber. Fibre promotes feelings of fullness and satiety, which can lead to a decrease in total calorie intake. It also slows digestion and helps maintain blood sugar levels, minimizing energy spikes that could lead to overeating.
- Healthy Fats: Flax seeds are high in healthy fats, especially alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid. These lipids have the potential to improve metabolism and satiety.
- Low-Carb foods: Flax seeds for weight loss are low calorie foods, making them suited for low-carb diets such as ketogenic or low-carb high-fat diets.
- Blood Sugar Control: Flax seeds’ soluble fiber can help balance blood sugar levels, reducing insulin spikes that can lead to fat storage.
- Nutrient Dense: Flax seeds are high in nutrient density, offering critical vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that promote general health. When you eat nutrient-dense foods, you’re more likely to feel content and nourished, which might help you lose weight.
How many Flax Seeds one should have for Weight Loss Daily?
Wondering how many Flax seeds for weight loss to be consumed in a day? We’ll try to answer that for you!
Typically, 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds should be consumed every day for weight loss.
So for example, if you are on a weight loss diet, you must consume 1 tablespoon of flax seeds either in the morning or anytime during the day to aid your weight loss journey.
Benefits of Flax Seeds for Weight Loss
Wondering how to reduce belly fat? Let’s see how Flax seeds can help!
1. Flax Seeds are Full of Fiber
Flax seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber, as they include both soluble and insoluble fiber. This fiber-rich composition has a variety of digestive and general health benefits. Flax seed soluble fiber can form a gel-like material that helps with digestion, blood sugar regulation, and cholesterol reduction. Insoluble fiber bulks up stools, encouraging regular bowel motions and promoting gut health. Flax seeds, whether ground in smoothies, yogurt, or baked items, can help with weight management, heart health, blood sugar control, and colon health. Remember to crush the seeds to maximize nutritional absorption.
2. Flax Seeds Help to Decrease Hunger and Appetite
Because of their high fiber content, flax seeds can help reduce hunger and appetite. Flax seeds have soluble and insoluble fiber that promotes satiety by absorbing water, slowing digestion and inducing satiety. Ground flax seeds in your diet can help control your appetite, perhaps boosting weight loss attempts and reducing overeating. However, it is vital to note that flax seeds should be part of a well-balanced diet and lifestyle in order to effectively manage hunger.
3. Flax Seeds Help to Boost Metabolism and Lean Muscle
Flax seed fiber helps ease digestion and help maintain stable blood sugar levels, which can benefit metabolism and energy levels. Furthermore, flax seeds include plant-based protein, however, their protein level is low in comparison to other protein sources. To truly enhance metabolism and support lean muscle growth, it’s critical to eat a well-balanced diet rich in nutrient-dense foods, prioritize adequate protein consumption, engage in regular physical activity, particularly strength training, and get enough rest. While flax seeds have advantages, their involvement in metabolism and muscle growth should be viewed as part of a comprehensive approach to overall health and fitness.
4. Flax Seeds are a Source of omega-3 fatty acids
Flax seeds do contain omega-3 fatty acids, particularly alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an important fatty acid with numerous health advantages. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for heart health because they can reduce inflammation, lower triglyceride levels, and promote cardiovascular health. Furthermore, these fatty acids influence brain activity, perhaps improving cognitive capacities and protecting against cognitive decline. Their anti-inflammatory qualities extend to skin health and the management of inflammatory disorders.
5. Flax Seeds Have Added Nutrition
Flax seeds provide a variety of additional nutritional benefits, making them an important dietary addition. They are a good source of vital omega-3 fatty acids, notably alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which supports heart health, cognitive function, and inflammatory regulation. Protein in flax seeds is also high. Other than being a good source of plant-based protein, they are also high in lignans, which are substances with antioxidant and hormone-balancing qualities. These seeds also include vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, thiamin, and magnesium, which contribute to their overall nutritional profile. Flax seeds can supply a varied array of nutrients, contributing to enhanced health and well-being.
6. Flax Seeds are a Source of Lignin
Flax seeds are particularly high in lignans, which are polyphenols with distinct health benefits. Lignans function as antioxidants, potentially promoting hormone balance and providing protection against certain chronic diseases. These molecules are transformed by gut bacteria into enterolignans, which may help to promote cardiovascular health by regulating cholesterol and blood pressure. The lignan content of flax seeds thus adds another layer to their nutritional worth, emphasizing their role in promoting general wellness.
7. Flax Seeds Aid weight management
Flax seeds help with weight loss because of their varied nutritional characteristics. Their high fiber content adds to a longer feeling of fullness and decreased hunger, which aids in weight management and prevents overeating. Furthermore, the soluble fiber in flax seeds helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, preventing unhealthy snacking. Furthermore, the inclusion of good fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids, in flax seeds might increase satiety while providing necessary nutrients. Flax seeds for weight loss are an excellent addition to a balanced diet targeted at effective weight management since they promote a sense of fullness, regulate blood sugar, and provide essential nutrients.
8. Flax Seeds May Help Lower Blood Pressure
Flax seeds have the potential to help decrease blood pressure. The omega-3 fatty acids included in flax seeds can help enhance cardiovascular health by supporting blood vessel function and lowering inflammation. Furthermore, their high potassium content may aid in fluid balance and offset the effects of excess salt. Furthermore, flax seeds contain peptides that have been shown to have a moderate blood pressure-lowering impact.
9. Flax Seeds Contain Dietary Fibre
Flax seeds for weight loss are high in dietary fiber, with both soluble and insoluble forms providing a variety of health benefits. When mixed with water, the soluble fiber in flax seeds forms a gel-like consistency, creating a feeling of fullness, stabilizing blood sugar levels, and aiding with cholesterol management. Insoluble fiber, on the other hand, bulks up the stool, supporting regular bowel motions and gut health. The combined effects of these fiber types benefit digestive health, weight control, heart health, and energy levels. By including flax seeds in your diet, you can benefit from dietary fiber to improve your overall health and well-being.
Now that you know about the various benefits of flax seeds, let’s understand flax seed nutrition facts.
Nutritional Value of Flax Seeds
Here is flax seeds nutritional value for 10g:-
|Calories in flax seeds||55|
|Protein in flax seeds||1.9g|
|Carbs in flax seeds||3g|
|Sugar in flax seeds||0.2g|
|Fiber in flax seeds||2.8g|
|Fat in flax seeds||4.3g|
Best Flax Seeds for Weight Loss
Now that you know about flax seed nutrition facts, let’s understand which one to buy. While there are a number of brands you can buy flax seeds for weight loss, the following are some of our top recommendations:-
- True Elements flax seeds
- Vanalaya Flax seeds
- Himalayan Organics Flax Seeds
Let’s understand each of their benefits in greater detail:-
1. True Elements flax seeds
The benefits of True Elements Flax Seeds :
- Flax seeds are high in soluble and insoluble fiber, which helps with digestion, promotes regular bowel movements, and benefits gut health. Fibre is crucial for preventing constipation, inducing fullness, and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Flax seeds’ omega-3 fatty acids and fiber content contribute to cardiovascular health. By improving cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure, ALA has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease. The fiber content aids in the reduction of LDL (bad) cholesterol levels as well.
Nutritional Value of True Elements Flax Seeds:
True Elements’ flax seeds nutritional value can’t go unnoticed. Let’s have a look at it:-
|Glycemic load||68-index value|
|Total carbohydrates||33 g|
|Total protein in flax seeds||21.6 g|
|Dietary fiber||21.6 g|
|Total fat||35.5 g|
Pros and Cons of True Elements Flax Seeds:
|Aids digestion||May cause digestive discomfort for some|
|Good source of omega-3 fatty acids||Allergic reactions possible|
|Can lower blood pressure||Texture and taste may not be palatable|
|Aids weight loss||Might interact with certain medications|
|Protein in flax seeds is plant-based||Easy to overconsume|
Price: True Elements Flax seeds might cost you anywhere between INR 140 – INR 220, as per varied quantities.
2. Vanalaya Flax Seeds:
Benefits of Vanalaya Flax Seeds:
- Flax seeds are high in dietary fiber. Fiber increases fullness and decreases hunger, which can help with calorie control. Consuming fiber-rich foods, such as flax seeds, may minimize your urge to overeat and consume high-calorie meals.
- Flax seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). These good fats improve satiety and overall wellness. Consuming omega-3 fatty acid-rich meals may aid in the regulation of hunger, the reduction of inflammation, and the promotion of a healthy metabolism.
- Flax seeds are low in carbohydrates in general, making them a good addition to low-carb or ketogenic diets. By incorporating flax seeds into your meals, you can boost nutritional density without significantly increasing carb intake.
- The soluble fiber in flax seeds creates a gel-like substance when mixed with water. This gel-like substance slows digestion, which may reduce calorie absorption from other meals consumed at the same time.
Nutritional Value of Vanalaya Flax Seeds:
Let’s see Vanalaya’s flax seeds nutritional value below:-
|Calories in flax seeds||534 Kcal|
|Protein in flax seeds||18.3g|
|Carbs in flax seeds||28.9g|
|Sugar in flax seeds||0.2g|
|Fat in flax seeds||42g|
Pros and Cons of Vanalaya Flax Seeds:
|Easy-to-use ingredient||Required grinding for maximum nutrient absorption|
|Natural thickener for smoothies||Might taste bitter if exposed to heat for long|
|Gluten-free and complements many diet regimens||Might be unavailable in some regions|
|Adds crunch and texture to the dish||Might be expensive for some|
|Easy to story||Might not suit people with digestive issues|
Price: Vanalaya Flax seeds can cost you around INR 160 for 250g.
3. Himalayan Organics Flax Seeds
Benefits of Himalayan Organics Flax Seeds:
- Flax seeds for weight loss have a strong nutritional profile. They contain a lot of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and lignans. They also contain vitamins B1, B6, folate, and minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese.
- Flax seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, which have been associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Flax seeds contain lignans, which are phytoestrogens (plant compounds). These lignans can aid in the regulation of hormone levels in the body, particularly estrogen. This may benefit women with menopausal symptoms or hormone imbalances.
Nutritional Value of Himalayan Organics Flax Seeds:
Let’s have a look at Himalayan Organics’ Flax seeds nutritional value with the help of the table below:-
|Calories in flax seeds||441 kcal|
|Protein in flax seeds||19.25g|
|Fat in flax seeds||36g|
|Carbs in flax seeds||10.5g|
|Sugar in flax seeds||0.55g|
|Fiber in flax seeds||27.65g|
Pros and Cons of Himalayan Organics Flax seeds:
|Easily available||Overconsumption might lead to increased calorie consumption|
|Certified organic flax seeds||Should be consumed in moderation|
|Long shelf life||Flavour might not suit everyone|
|Can contribute to weight management||Might not suit people who have certain allergies|
Price: Himalayan Organics Flax seeds might cost you around INR 220.
Are there any Side Effects of Flax Seeds for Weight Loss?
Even though Flax seeds for weight loss are the powerhouse of nutrients, overconsumption of it might have certain side effects. Let’s discuss some of these below:-
- Digestion Problems: Flax seeds contain a significant quantity of dietary fiber, which can cause digestive discomfort, bloating, gas, or even diarrhea if overconsumed or consumed without adequate water intake. To avoid this, gradually incorporate flax seeds into your diet and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Reduced Nutrient Absorption: Even though flax seed nutrition facts are enough to make it the perfect snack, they do contain chemicals such as phytic acid, which can inhibit mineral absorption such as calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium. If you consume a lot of flax seeds, they may interfere with the absorption of these important nutrients. To counteract this, soak, or crush the seeds before eating them, as these techniques can help lower phytic acid levels.
- Gastrointestinal Blockage: Consuming whole flax seeds without appropriate water intake may result in the seeds swelling and potentially creating an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract in rare situations. To avoid this, always consume ground flax seeds and stay hydrated.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Flax seeds contain lignans, which have estrogen-like properties. While these substances may have health benefits, taking large amounts may disrupt hormone balance, especially in people with certain hormonal problems.
Other tips to Add flax seeds to your diet
Wondering how to add flax seeds for weight loss to your diet? Let’s find out!
- Smoothies: To add fiber, healthy fats, and nutrients to your morning smoothies, add ground flax seeds.
- Yogurt or Cottage Cheese: For extra texture and nutrients, mix ground flax seeds into yogurt, cottage cheese, or any other dairy.
- Oatmeal or Cereal: To boost the nutritional content of your oatmeal or morning cereal, sprinkle ground flax seeds on top.
- Baking: Incorporate ground flax seeds into muffin, cookie, bread, and pancake recipes. They are frequently used to substitute a portion of the flour in recipes.
- Salads: Add ground flax seeds to salads for a nutty flavour and texture.
- Homemade Energy Bars: For an extra nutritional boost, add flax seeds to homemade energy bars or granola bars.
- Chewable Flax Seeds: Chew some flax seeds in your mouth. The seeds release their nutty flavour and texture as you chew, which can help freshen your breath.
- Portable Snack: Keep a small jar of mixed flax seeds and other aromatic seeds for an on-the-go mouth refresher. This is a healthier option than commercially available breath mints or gum.
Are there any Side Effects of flax seeds for weight loss?
While flax seed nutrition facts are immense, if overconsumed, flax seeds for weight loss can lead to digestive discomfort, hormonal imbalance and gastrointestinal blockage. Hence, consuming these in moderation is advised.
How Do Flax Seeds Aid Weight Loss?
Flax seeds aid weight loss in 2 ways. First, they help with satiety since they are a good source of fiber. Second, they are low-carb snacks that can very well complement your weight loss goals.
How many flax seeds should we have in a day?
One should consume about 10-15 grams of Flas seeds every day.
When to Take flax seeds to Lose Weight?
Consuming Flax seeds on an empty stomach in the morning can help with weight loss.
How To Eat Flax Seeds for Weight Loss?
You can either have flax seeds for weight loss on smoothies, salads, energy bars or eat them raw.
Do flax seeds help in weight loss?
Given flax seed nutrition facts, they might help with weight loss. However, one shouldn’t be solely dependent only on flax seeds for weight loss. Regular exercise and a balanced diet or intermittent fasting can help you lose weight.
What to look for in flax seeds for Weight Loss?
Ensure that the flax seeds are organic and raw, without any additives.
Should you soak flax seeds for Weight Loss?
Yes, one should soak flax seeds for weight loss overnight since they become easier to digest.
Can we have flax seeds empty stomach for weight loss?
Yes, you can have flax seeds for weight loss on an empty stomach.