Kaddu, or pumpkin is a famous vegetable consumed in India and comes with a thick orange or yellowish outer skin and sweet, dense flesh inside. It is added to curry, sambhar, and salads or can be enjoyed as a sabzi as well. If you’re not fond of having kaddu (pumpkin) in your meals or salads, an alternative way to enjoy it is by incorporating it into desserts. Here’s a delicious Kaddu Halwa recipe that you should try!
Check out these Keto Pumpkin Indian recipes if you like to have pumpkin and looking to add it to your diet.
About Kaddu Halwa Recipe
Kaddu Halwa is a delectable dessert made from pumpkin (kaddu) cooked with ghee, sugar, and a blend of aromatic spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Just like the Gajar Halwa recipe, Kaddu Halwa is made in the same way. Beginners, who aren’t familiar with cooking can easily learn how to make Kaddu Halwa by following a few simple steps to prepare a Kaddu Halwa recipe that is unique and new!
When you’re planning to make a delightful dessert for festivals or special occasions, consider preparing this healthy and easy Kaddu Halwa recipe.
|Time Required||Difficulty Level||Serves|
|30-40 mins||Hard||1 Person|
Preparation For Kaddu Halwa Recipe
Here are the preparations needed for an easy Kaddu Halwa recipe:
1. Grate the kaddu (pumpkin) or puree it.
2. Keep the milk at room temperature.
3. Chop the nuts (such as almonds and pistachios) for garnishing.
4. Keep all the necessary ingredients handy, including ghee, sugar, cardamom powder, and any additional spices or flavourings you prefer.
These preparations will help you streamline the cooking process and ensure a smoother experience while following the Kaddu Halwa recipe.
Ingredients For Kaddu Halwa
The ingredients used in the Kaddu Halwa recipe (Pumpkin Halwa) are:
- 500 grams of grated or pureed pumpkin (Kaddu)
- 4 tablespoons of Ghee (clarified butter) – for sautéing. Check out the Ghee Nutrition – Calories, Protein, Carbs
- 1 cup of Sugar – to sweeten the halwa. Alternatively, you can use Jaggery as a healthier pick.
- 1 cup of Milk – to add richness and moisture
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cardamom powder – for flavour
- Nuts (such as almonds, pistachios) – for garnishing
- Optional: Saffron strands, raisins, and other spices or flavourings of your choice.
These ingredients come together to make a delicious and aromatic Kaddu Halwa delicious recipe.
How To Make Instant Kaddu Halwa At Home (Step Wise)
Wondering how to make Kaddu Halwa instantly at home? Here’s a concise step-by-step recipe on how to make Kaddu Halwa recipe instantly at home;
Step-1 Heat ghee in a pan and add grated or pureed pumpkin (kaddu).
Step-2 Sauté the grated pumpkin until it softens and turns slightly golden. Add sugar and mix well until it dissolves.
Step-3 Add a pinch of cardamom powder and mix.
Step-4 Cook the mixture until it thickens to a desired halwa consistency. Garnish with chopped nuts like almonds and pistachios.
Serve the Instant and easy Kaddu Halwa recipe warm and enjoy!
Note: Adjust the sugar quantity according to your taste preferences. You can also add a dash of milk for a creamier texture if desired. Instead of sugar, you may consider adding jaggery.
Method/Steps To Cook Kaddu Halwa
Wondering how to make a Kaddu Halwa recipe from scratch, and looking for a step-by-step guide? This is a precise guide for beginners, follow these steps to make Kaddu ka Halwa;
Step-1 Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan or kadai over medium heat.
Step-2 Add the grated or pureed pumpkin (kaddu) to the pan and sauté it in ghee for about 5-7 minutes, until it softens and starts to change colour.
Step-3 In a separate saucepan, warm the milk over low heat.
Step-4 Once the pumpkin has cooked, add the warm milk to the pan and stir well.
Step-5 Cook the pumpkin-milk mixture on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates and the pumpkin starts to thicken. This may take around 15-20 minutes.
Step-6 Add the sugar to the pan and mix well. Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste preferences.
Step-7 Continue to cook the halwa, stirring frequently, until it reaches a thick and smooth consistency. This may take another 15-20 minutes.
Step-8 Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee to the pan and mix it in.
Step-9 Sprinkle cardamom powder over the halwa and stir to incorporate the flavour.
Step-10 Optional: If using saffron strands or raisins, add them now and mix well.
Step-11 Cook the halwa for a few more minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. It should be soft, slightly glossy, and easy to scoop.
Remove the halwa from the heat and transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped nuts like almonds and pistachios. Serve the Kaddu Halwa warm and enjoy!
Any Alternate Way To Make Kaddu Halwa
The Kaddu Halwa recipe with Atta is a great way of the traditional pumpkin halwa. By adding atta (whole wheat flour), this dish gains a richer texture and a slightly nutty flavour. The combination of kaddu, atta, and aromatic spices creates a deliciously comforting dessert that is not only satisfying but also packed with wholesome goodness. Here’s how to make Kaddu Halwa with Atta;
Ingredients required for the Kaddu Halwa recipe made with atta;
- 500 grams of grated or pureed pumpkin (kaddu)
- 1/2 cup of atta (whole wheat flour)
- 4 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup of sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- Chopped nuts (such as almonds and pistachios) for garnishing
Step-1 Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan or kadai over medium heat.
Step-2 Add the grated or pureed pumpkin (kaddu) to the pan and sauté it in ghee for about 5-7 minutes until it softens and starts to change colour.
Step-3 Remove the pumpkin from the pan and set it aside.
Step-4 In the same pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee and heat it.
Step-5 Add atta (whole wheat flour) to the pan and roast it on medium heat until it turns golden brown and releases a pleasant aroma. Stir continuously to prevent burning.
Step-6 Once the atta is roasted, add the cooked pumpkin back to the pan and mix well.
Step-7 Add sugar to the pan and mix until it dissolves.
Step-8 Gradually pour the almond milk into the pan while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
Step-9 Cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and reaches a halwa-like consistency. This may take around 10-15 minutes.
Step-10 Add cardamom powder and continue to cook for a few more minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. The halwa should be thick and leave the sides of the pan.
Step-11 Remove the halwa from the heat and transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped nuts like almonds and pistachios.
Serve this filling and easy Kaddu Halwa recipe prepared with Atta warm!
Nutritional Value in Kaddu Halwa
The nutritional value of Kaddu Halwa can vary based on the specific ingredients and quantities used in the recipe. We are aware that the Kaddu halwa recipe can be prepared by adding mava/khoya and also condensed milk. But these ingredients are not healthy to consume and are full of fat contents and preservatives.
We suggest you avoid using these ingredients and opt for homemade alternatives. Here are the precise nutritional value of this easy Kaddu Halwa recipe;
|Serving Size||1 Bowl of Halwa|
Pro Tips to Make the Best Kaddu Halwa at Home
Wondering how to make Kaddu Halwa perfectly? Here are a few tips on how to make Kaddu Halwa in a better and personalized way;
- Choose the right pumpkin: Select a ripe, sweet, and flavorful pumpkin for the best results. Look for pumpkins that have a bright colour and feel heavy for their size.
- Grating or pureeing the pumpkin: Grate the pumpkin finely or puree it in a blender for a smoother texture in the halwa. This helps in evenly cooking the pumpkin and incorporating it into the dish.
- Opt for the right cookware: It is advisable to avoid using aluminium cookware when making any dish in your kitchen. Instead, opt for high-quality, sustainable cookware that prevents the halwa from sticking and minimizes the risk of burning.
- Cooking technique: Cook the halwa on medium to low heat, stirring frequently. This helps in preventing burning and ensures even cooking. Be patient and allow the halwa to cook slowly to achieve the desired consistency and flavour.
- Go for healthier alternatives: Use almond milk instead of mava, go for jaggery rather than sugar, and avoid using packed rose water, you can add homemade rose water which is free of preservatives.
Health Benefits of Kaddu Halwa
This easy Kaddu Halwa recipe offers several health benefits, primarily due to its key ingredient, pumpkin. Here are some health benefits of Kaddu Halwa:
1. Nutrient-rich: Pumpkin is packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, and manganese. These nutrients support various bodily functions, including immunity, vision, skin health, and bone health.
2. High in Fiber: Pumpkin contains dietary fibre, which aids in digestion, promotes satiety, and helps maintain healthy bowel movements. Including fibre in your diet can also support heart health and regulate blood sugar levels.
3. Antioxidant Properties: Pumpkin contains antioxidants like beta-carotene, which gives it its vibrant orange colour. These antioxidants help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, potentially reducing the risk of chronic diseases and promoting overall health.
4. Low in Calories: Kaddu Halwa, when prepared without excessive sugar or fats, can be a relatively low-calorie dessert option. This makes it suitable for individuals who are conscious of their calorie intake.
5. Source of Healthy Fats: If prepared with ghee or healthy cooking oils like coconut oil or olive oil, Kaddu Halwa can provide a source of beneficial fats. These healthy fats are essential for hormone production, nutrient absorption, and overall cell function.
6. Satisfying and Comforting: Kaddu Halwa’s rich and comforting taste can help satisfy your sweet cravings more healthily. Enjoying it in moderation can contribute to a balanced and enjoyable diet.
Remember, while Kaddu Halwa has its health benefits, the overall nutritional profile and healthiness of the dish can vary depending on the specific ingredients and preparation methods used. It’s always advisable to use wholesome and high-quality ingredients and consume them in moderation as part of a balanced diet. If you’re wondering how to make Kaddu Halwa healthier then refer to the next section!
Tips To Limit The Calorie In Kaddu Halwa
Here are some tips to help you limit the calorie content in the Kaddu Halwa recipe:
1. Control the sugar: Reduce the amount of sugar used in the recipe. Opt for natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, or use sugar substitutes like stevia or erythritol for a lower-calorie alternative.
2. Use low-fat milk: Choose skim or low-fat milk instead of full-fat milk. This will reduce the calorie and fat content in the halwa while still providing a creamy texture.
3. Reduce ghee or oil: Use a minimal amount of ghee or choose a healthier cooking oil like coconut oil or olive oil. This will cut down on the overall calorie content.
4. Add healthy toppings: Instead of using excessive nuts or fried garnishes, opt for a sprinkle of chopped nuts like almonds or pistachios to add flavour and texture without adding too many calories.
5. Incorporate spices for flavour: Use aromatic spices like cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg to enhance the flavour of the halwa. This allows you to reduce the amount of sugar without compromising on taste.
Remember, these tips can help reduce the calorie content of the Kaddu Halwa recipe, but it’s still important to enjoy it in moderation and as part of an overall balanced diet. If you are a dessert person then check out these 5 Keto Desserts you have every day!
What are some other dishes I can make with Kaddu?
There are various dishes you can make with Kaddu (pumpkin). Apart from Kaddu Halwa, you can explore recipes like Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Curry, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Bread, or even roasted pumpkin as a side dish. The versatile nature of kaddu allows for creativity in the kitchen.
What’s different in the Kaddu Halwa Recipe by Livofy?
We at Livofy, suggest recipes with healthy alternatives, how to make Kaddu Halwa instantly, and also mention what is the difference in our recipes. Like in a normal Kaddu Halwa recipe, you may find the use of mava/khoya, here we have mentioned healthier alternatives to use that will not change the taste of this delicious Kaddu Halwa recipe.
What is the cooking time for Kaddu Halwa?
The cooking time for the Kaddu Halwa recipe can vary depending on the recipe and desired consistency. On average, it may take approximately 30-45 minutes to cook Kaddu Halwa, including the preparation and cooking process.
Is Kaddu Halwa Healthy?
Kaddu Halwa can be a healthy dessert option when prepared with nutritious ingredients and in moderation. Pumpkin itself is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibre while controlling the quantity of sugar and fats used can further enhance its healthfulness.
What is the right time to have Kaddu Halwa?
Kaddu Halwa can be enjoyed as a dessert after a meal or as a sweet treat during festive occasions or celebrations. There is no specific “right” time to have Kaddu Halwa; it can be enjoyed based on personal preference and occasions.
Are there any side effects of eating Kaddu?
When consumed in moderate amounts, there are generally no significant side effects of eating Kaddu. However, individuals with specific dietary restrictions, allergies, or sensitivities should consider their circumstances and consult with a healthcare professional if needed.
How many calories does Kaddu Halwa have?
The number of calories in Kaddu Halwa can vary depending on the recipe and serving size. On average, a serving of Kaddu Halwa may contain approximately 200-300 calories. It’s important to be mindful of portion sizes to manage calorie intake.
How to make Kaddu Halwa interesting?
Here’s how to make Kaddu Halwa interesting: experiment with different flavours and textures. Try adding a hint of saffron or rose water for a unique twist. You can also incorporate nuts, dried fruits, or even a sprinkle of cinnamon for added depth of flavour.
How to make Kaddu Halwa healthier?
Here’s how to make Kaddu Halwa healthier: consider using healthier cooking oils like coconut oil or olive oil instead of ghee, reducing the amount of sugar or using natural sweeteners, opting for low-fat milk or plant-based milk alternatives, and adding additional nutritious ingredients like flaxseeds or chia seeds.