Chicken pot pie soup is the ultimate comfort food and this creamy, chunky soup is loaded with chicken, mushrooms, peas, carrots, corn, celery, onions, and green beans in every bite.
Homemade chicken pot pie can be a labor of love. This soup is the easier way to get your comfort food fix. Instead of making a from-scratch pie dough to encase the filling, make pie crust crackers (sprinkled with Parmesan) for dunking with store-bought dough.
Filled with hearty vegetables like carrots, and peas, the creamy soup is basically a looser version of the baked casserole. To save more time, use store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic1 cup diced celery (about 3 ribs)
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (preferably bone-in cooked or rotisserie)
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in onion, carrot, and celery and saute for 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bring soup to a low boil then reduce heat to medium-low, (press veggies down into broth) and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are almost fully tender about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt the remaining 5 Tbsp butter.
- Stir in flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 1/2 minutes. While whisking slowly pour milk into the flour mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook mixture, stirring constantly until thickened (don\’t boil). Stir in cream then remove from heat, cover with a lid.
- Add peas and corn to the soup mixture with vegetables (once potatoes are almost fully tender) and heat through for a few minutes.
- Stir milk mixture and chicken into soup. If desired you can thin soup with a little chicken broth if needed.
We just love this dish and we hope that you will feel the same after you eat it. Well for more such amazing and delicious keto recipes, stay tuned with us. And go follow us on our Instagram Handle and subscribe to our Youtube Channel!