Millet Upma is an alternative to traditional upma recipes made from semolina or suji. Here’s a new, healthy yet delicious option. You can add a variety of vegetables to your Millet Upma recipe. Beginners who don’t know how to make Millet Upma can easily learn to prepare this dish by following a few simple steps and, adding this healthy dish to breakfast or evening snacks.
About Millet Upma Recipe
Millet Upma recipe is easy and versatile in nature, you can make it in several ways, adding or subtracting the ingredients according to your diet. Millet Upma is popularly served in South India as a breakfast meal option. You can pair this easy Millet Upma recipe with Mint chutney!
The Millet Upma recipe can be easily customized for your fasting meal, cooked without onions and garlic. Furthermore, adding millets for diabetes patients is advantageous, as they offer potential benefits in managing blood sugar levels.
|Preparation Time||Difficulty Level||Serves|
|20-25 mins||Easy||1 Persson|
Preparation For Millet Upma Recipe
Wondering if there is any preparation required for this easy Millet Upma recipe? Here are the preparatory steps given below;
- Wash and Soak: Wash the millets in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear and leave it for the soaking period for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Gather all the ingredients: Keep the ingredients (given in the next section) handy near your kitchen station to avoid last-minute hassle.
Ingredients For Millet Upma
The ingredients that will be used in this easy Millet Upma recipe are:
- Millets: 1 cup (commonly used millets include foxtail millet, little millet, barnyard millet, or a mix of different millets)
- Ghee: 2 tablespoons (alternatively oil can be used)
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal (split black gram): 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal (split chickpeas): 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: a few leaves
- Green chillies: 2, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1-inch piece, grated or finely chopped
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Carrot: 1 small, finely chopped (optional)
- Green peas: 1/4 cup (optional)
- Mixed vegetables: 1/4 cup (such as bell peppers, beans, cauliflower, etc.), finely chopped (optional)
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Water: 2 cups
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves: for garnishing
These are the basic ingredients for the Millet Upma recipe, and you can customize it by adding or subtracting vegetables and adjusting the spice levels to your preference.
Method/Steps To Cook Millet Upma
Wondering how to make Millet Upma recipe from scratch? Here are the step-wise instructions given in detail;
To cook the veggies:
Step 1: Rinse the millet thoroughly under running water and drain well.
Step 2: Heat oil or ghee in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
Step 3: Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Step 4: Add urad dal and chana dal. Stir and roast until the dals turn golden brown.
Step 5: Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
Step 6: Add slit green chillies, curry leaves, and asafoetida. Stir for a few seconds, then add chopped carrots, bell pepper, and tomatoes. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Finally Adding the Millet
Step 1: Add the rinsed millet to the pan where the veggies are ready. Mix well
Step 2: Pour 2 cups of water into the pan. Add salt to taste and stir everything together.
Step 3: Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer on low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the millet is cooked and the water is absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Step 4: Once the millet is cooked and has a fluffy texture, remove the pan from heat.
Step 5: Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Your easy Millet Upma recipe is now ready to be served! Enjoy it hot as a nutritious and delicious breakfast or a light meal.
How To Make Instant Millet Upma At Home (Step Wise)
Wondering how to make Millet Upma instantly at home? Here is a concise step-by-step guide for you to recall the Millet Upma Recipe:
Step-1 Dry roast millets then grind them into a coarse powder.
Step-2 Sauté mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves in oil or ghee.
Step-3 Add chopped onions, green chilli, and vegetables. Sauté until tender.
Step-4 Mix in the ground millet powder. Add salt and water and cook it covered until the millet is cooked and water is absorbed.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot!
Any Alternate Way To Make Millet Upma
Wondering how to make Millet Upma in an alternative yet healthier way? Here’s how to make Millet Upma in a new way- add grated coconut to the recipe to add a nutty and slightly sweet flavour to the dish. This is a great way to make Millet Upma if you are looking for a more refreshing and flavorful dish.
- 1 cup millet, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped vegetables, such as carrots, peas, or green beans
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
Step-1 Heat the oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and stir them for a few seconds until they start to pop.
Step-2 Add the hing, onion, and green chilli (if using) and cook until the onion is softened about 2 minutes.
Step-3 Combine the millet, water, and salt in a pot and boil. Then, lower the heat to a gentle simmer, cover the pot, and let it cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the millet is fully cooked and has absorbed all the water.
Step-4 Stir in the grated coconut, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the flavours have melded.
Fluff the Millet Upma and serve hot!
Pro Tips to Make the Best Millet Upma At Home
Let us see how to make Millet Upma recipe with pro tips to enhance the flavours and health benefits of the dish;
1. Rinse the millets: Before cooking the millets, rinse them well under running water. This helps remove any impurities and excess starch, resulting in fluffier and more separate grains.
2. Dry roast the millets: Dry roasting the millets before cooking can enhance their nutty flavour and improve the overall texture of the Upma. Heat a pan over medium heat and toast the millets for a few minutes until they become slightly golden and aromatic. Be careful not to burn them.
3. Use the right ratio of water: Millets require a specific amount of water for cooking. Generally, for every cup of millet, use around 2 cups of water. However, refer to the specific instructions for the type of millet you are using, as ratios may vary.
4. Proper tempering: The tempering or tadka plays a crucial role in the flavour of the Upma. Heat the oil or ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, and other spices as per your preference. Allow the spices to crackle and release their aroma before adding the other ingredients.
5. Sauté the vegetables: If you are adding vegetables to your Millet Upma, ensure that you sauté them well. Remember this will increase the calories. Start with harder vegetables like carrots and beans, and add softer ones like bell peppers or peas later to avoid overcooking.
6. Fluff the millets: Once the millets are cooked, fluff them gently with a fork to separate the grains and prevent clumping. This helps in achieving a light and fluffy texture for the Upma.
By following these pro tips, you can elevate the flavours, textures, and overall quality of your homemade easy Millet Upma Recipe. Enjoy the nutritious and delicious dish with your favourite accompaniments!
Nutritional Value in Millet Upma
This easy Millet Upma recipe is a nutritious dish that is high in fibre, protein, and minerals. It is also gluten-free and low in fat. Let’s look at the specific nutritional value of one serving of Millet Upma;
|Serving Size||1 Bowl of Millet Upma|
Health Benefits of Millet Upma
Here are the nutritional benefits of this easy Millet Upma recipe;
- Rich in nutrients: Millet Upma recipe is a nutritious dish as millets are a good source of fibre, protein, vitamins (such as niacin and folate), minerals (such as magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc), and antioxidants. These nutrients contribute to overall health and well-being.
- High in fibre: Millets Upma recipe has high fibre content, which aids in digestion, promotes satiety, and supports healthy bowel movements. Including fibre in your diet can help regulate blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol levels, and improve gut health.
- Gluten-free option: Millets are naturally gluten-free, making Millet Upma a suitable choice for individuals with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. It provides a flavorful alternative to wheat-based dishes.
- Supports weight management: Millets have a lower glycemic index compared to refined grains, which means they release sugar into the bloodstream more slowly. This can help keep you feeling full for longer and prevent sudden spikes in blood sugar levels, contributing to healthy weight management.
- Heart-healthy: The fibre, magnesium, and antioxidants present in millet have been associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases. Including Millet Upma in a balanced diet can contribute to heart health.
Tips To Limit The Calorie In Millet Upma
Wondering how to make Millet Upma with low calories? Here are a few tips on how to make Millet Upma recipe with reduced calories;
Limit added fats: Use minimal oil or ghee for tempering and sautéing. Consider using healthier cooking oils like olive oil or coconut oil.
Choose lean proteins: If adding protein sources like lentils or legumes to the Upma, opt for low-fat options or reduce the quantity to manage calorie content.
Increase vegetable content: Load up on vegetables in the Upma to add bulk and nutrients without significantly increasing the calorie count.
Control salt and spices: Be mindful of the amount of salt and spices used. Experiment with flavorful herbs and spices to reduce the reliance on salt.
What are some other dishes I can make with Millet?
Millet can be used to make a variety of dishes, such as millet porridge, millet burgers, millet pilaf, and more. Get creative and experiment with this versatile grain!
What’s different in the Millet Upma Recipe by Livofy?
We at Livofy, suggest a Millet Upma recipe that is easy to make, healthier and also an alternate way to prepare the same recipe with equal delicious taste. The recipes here are suitable for beginners, for people who are looking for a quick guide to recall the recipe and also the various tips to make a Millet Upma recipe that is tastier and healthier.
What is the cooking time for Millet Upma?
The cooking time for Millet Upma usually ranges between 20 to 25 minutes. It is a quick and easy dish to prepare, making it a convenient choice for a nutritious meal.
Is Millet Upma Healthy?
Yes, Millet Upma is a healthy dish. It offers several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. Millet grains, the main component of Millet Upma, are rich in dietary fibre, protein, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and B vitamins. It provides a good balance of nutrients and can contribute to a healthy and well-rounded diet.
What is the right time to have Millet Upma?
Millet Upma can be enjoyed as a breakfast option or as a light lunch. It provides sustained energy release, making it an excellent choice for starting your day. However, you can relish Millet Upma at any time of the day when you crave a healthy and flavorful meal.
Are there any side effects of eating Millet?
While Millet Upma is generally safe to consume, some individuals may experience digestive issues such as bloating or gas. If you have specific dietary concerns or allergies, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional before including Millet Upma in your diet.
How many calories does Millet Upma have?
The calorie content of Millet Upma can vary depending on the ingredients used and portion sizes. On average, a serving of Millet Upma (approximately 150 grams) contains around 200-250 calories. It is a relatively low-calorie meal, making it suitable for weight-conscious individuals.
How to make Millet Upma interesting?
Here’s how to make Millet Upma more interesting, try adding a variety of vegetables, spices like turmeric and cumin, and garnishes like coriander leaves or grated coconut. You can also incorporate nuts and seeds for added texture and flavour.
How to make Millet Upma healthier?
Here’s how to make Millet Upma more Healthier: reduce the usage of ghee or oil, opt for whole grain millets instead of refined ones, and control the amount of salt and sugar used in the recipe. These adjustments can enhance the nutritional value of the dish.