Pinto Bean Tostadas: Ready-to-go pinto beans and crispy corn tortillas prove how easy it is to make a healthy meal. Chili powder kicks up the fun, making this a popular pick for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
Here is the quick recipe for Pinto Bean Tostadas:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- take 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese or queso fresco
- Lime wedges
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, lime zest, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir just until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
- Stir in beans, pepper sauce, chili powder, and remaining salt; heat through, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with the remaining oil.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tortillas in two batches; cook until lightly browned and crisp, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, arrange beans and lettuce over tostada shells; top with salsa, sour cream mixture, and cheese.
- Serve with lime wedges.
1 tostada: 291 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.