Here is a quick recipe for Vanilla Bourbon French Toast:
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% milk
- 1⁄4 cup bourbon
- take 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp ground nutmeg
- take 1 loaf of day-old country bread, preferably whole wheat, cut into 8 slices
- Butter for the pan
- Maple or agave syrup for serving
- Preheat the oven to 225°F.
- Combine the eggs, milk, bourbon, vanilla, sugar, and nutmeg in a shallow baking dish and whisk to combine.
- Soak each slice of bread for 30 seconds, turning once, before cooking.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Melt a small pat of butter in the pan, enough to coat the surface.
- Add 2 to 4 slices of the soaked bread and cook for about 3 minutes, until a deep brown crust forms.
- Flip the bread and continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Keep the cooked French toast in the oven while you work through the rest of the batch.
- Serve with warm syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar, if you like.
Eat This Tip
While we’ve managed to take most of the sting out of the French toast, it’s still by definition a carb-heavy breakfast. But by increasing your fiber intake, you can blunt the impact on your blood sugar levels. Try replacing the syrup with any of the following:
- Sliced bananas, either raw or caramelized in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Raw strawberries with powdered sugar.
- Blueberries are cooked for 15 minutes with a spoonful of water and sugar.
Get started with your Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!