Make these delicious Vegan Chilaquiles with spiced Chickpeas as your breakfast, brunch or lunch. It takes less than 30 minutes to make such an amazing dish. All you need is chickpeas, tortilla and red sauce as main ingredients.
Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican dish that contains fried tortilla pieces simmered in salsa or sauces of salsa like red or green topped with cheese and meat or egg. The vegan version of this uses tofu, beans and chickpeas. Here we have used chickpeas.
Prep Time= 10 mins | Cook Time= 17 mins | Total Time= 27 mins
Serving= 4 | Calories= 196 kcal
Ingredients to make vegan chilaquiles-
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 42 g chopped carrots
- 425 g can chickpeas or 1.5 cup cooked
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika, dried oregano and garlic powder
- a good dash of cinnamon
- salt as per taste
- 2 tortillas or 1.5 cups tortilla chips
- Some chopped onion, coriander and lime juice for garnishing
- (65.5 g) tomato paste
- 1 (1 ) tomato
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- half of the onion garlic mixture from above
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion, garlic and carrots with a pinch of salt. Stir occasionally and cook until golden. Remove half of the mixture for the red sauce.
- Add chickpeas and spices to the mixture. You can add red chili to make it more spicy. Mix everything well and cover it. Let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes so that chickpeas get coated with spices and pick up the flavor.
- Meanwhile make the red sauce:- Blend all the ingredients and reserved onion garlic carrot mixture until smooth. Your red sauce is ready. Set it aside.
- Add tortilla chips or crisped sliced tortillas to the chickpeas mixture.
- Pour the red sauce over the mixture. Mix everything properly and bring to a boil. Add salt as per taste and heat it for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately after garnishing it with chopped onion, coriander and a dash of lime.
- You can either pan fry, bake or crisp the tortillas on a direct flame.
- Garnish your dish with cheese or add some more tortilla chips and serve hot.
- You can use tofu, pinto beans, black beans or cooked lentils instead of using chickpeas.
Calories- 196 kcal | Carbohydrates- 32g | Fiber- 7g | Sugar- 5g | Protein- 8g | Fat- 4g
Note-Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used and preparation method.
Get started your with Weight Loss Journey today and take a step towards a healthy lifestyle! Stay tuned for inspiring Weight Loss Journeys, and Delicious Recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of Health, and Wellness content!