A diversity of winter vegetables gives the broth for this superior Jewish soup a deep flavor. You can adjoin a few green onions instead of the leek. The Flavorful Matzo Ball Soup consists of carrots, turnips, onions, and leek to exhibit all the flavors! Soups are pretty filling and packed with nutrients. All your requirements for vegetables and animal fat is present in this flavorful matzo ball soup.
- 10 cups water
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- MATZO BALLS:
- three large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rendered chicken fat
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 8 cups water
- For the broth, in a stockpot, couple the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 120 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, hammer the egg yolks at high intensity for 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Pour the water, chicken fat, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk egg whites on high until stiff peaks form in another bowl and fold into a yolk mixture. Overlap in matzo meal. Cover and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes or until thickened.
- In another stockpot, bring water to a boil; add remaining salt. Dip eight rounded tablespoonfuls of matzo ball dough into boiling water. Lower heat; cover and simmer for half an hour or until a toothpick inserted into a matzo ball comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
- Drain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Firmly remove matzo balls from the water with a slotted spoon; place one matzo ball in each soup bowl. Add broth.
1 cup provides 100 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
We love this recipe and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss journeys, health content, and recipes! Also, don\’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle!