Whipping up a batch of these gluten-free and keto fish tacos couldn’t be easier. The results? A properly crisp exterior, a flakey and tender fish, and an overall taste bomb of a low carb Mexican dish!
Choosing a favorite taco is probably the equivalent of choosing a favorite child. It is simply not happening. Having said that, proper seaside fish tacos have always held a special place in our hearts.
Their crispy exterior and perfectly flakey interior hit the spot every-single-time. Making them grain-free and keto really couldn’t be easier- yielding equally crispy and tasty results. Plus, they’re an awesome pairing with our staple keto tortillas and pico de gallo salsa.
FOR THE GLUTEN FREE & KETO FISH TACOS
- 250 g firm white-flesh fish such as flounder or cod
- 1/3 cup sour cream or coconut cream + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic ran through a press
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 cup whey protein isolate
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 1 egg
- coconut oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 batch 15-minute keto & grain-free tortillas 8 tortillas
- 1 batch pico de gallo salsa
Mix sour (or coconut) cream, vinegar, garlic, and season to taste with salt. Cut the fish across the grain of the flesh into strips roughly 1/2 inch wide, and add it to the cream marinade. Cover and refrigerate for two hours, preferably overnight.
Make a batch of our grain-free keto tortillas. You can have them shaped and ready to go for cooking them simultaneously to the fish.
Prepare your frying station by adding enough oil to a skillet or pan to make it about 1/2-inch deep. You can save a lot of oil by using a narrower pan and frying in batches. Heat up oil over medium/low heat while you coat the fish.
Mix the whey protein, baking powder, chili powder, and salt in a shallow plate or dish. In a second plate or dish, whisk the egg with cream and vinegar.
Coat the fish by lightly removing excess marinade, dipping in the egg mix, followed by the whey protein mix, immediately placing in the hot oil and basting the top right away. You want to fry the fish right after coating for the best crispness. Fry on both sides until deep golden and transfer to a paper-lined plate for a couple of minutes.
Serve right away with the freshly-made tortillas, plenty of limes, and your salsa of choice.
- Whip up your own chili powder mix: 3/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/8 tsp dried cumin.