Sausages are beloved meat all over the world, and each geographical area of the globe has its own distinctive sausages. However, the primary ingredients remain the same all over. Sausage is molded from ground protein mixed with fat and spices.
The Keto diet is one of the most trending diets nowadays. Many of us wonder what to eat and what to avoid on a keto diet. We have to give up most carbohydrates and have to opt for fats. So, it becomes a common dilemma for people to choose what to discard. If you love sausages and want to know if you can have them on a keto diet then let’s talk about sausage on a keto diet. Is it keto-friendly?
Is Sausage allowed on a keto diet?
Sausage can be included in a ketogenic diet, but it is important to choose the right types of sausage and to pay attention to serving sizes. A ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that is designed to help the body enter a state of ketosis, in which it begins to burn fat for energy instead of glucose.
Sausage is a good source of protein and can be a convenient option for people following a ketogenic diet. However, not all types of sausage are keto-friendly. Processed sausages, such as hot dogs and bologna, are typically high in additives and preservatives and are not suitable for a ketogenic diet. These types of sausages are also often high in carbohydrates, which can kick you out of ketosis.
On the other hand, natural sausages made from whole cuts of meat, such as pork, beef, or turkey, can be a good choice for a ketogenic diet. These types of sausages are typically lower in additives and preservatives and are a good source of protein and fat. It is important to read the label and choose sausages that are made from whole cuts of meat and do not contain added sugars or other carb-containing ingredients.
It is also important to pay attention to serving sizes when including sausage in a ketogenic diet. While sausage can be a part of a healthy ketogenic diet, it should be consumed in moderation and in combination with other low-carb, high-fat foods. A serving of sausage is typically one to two ounces, depending on the size of the sausage and the type of meat it is made from.
In summary, sausage can be included in a ketogenic diet, but it is important to choose natural, whole-cut sausages and to pay attention to serving sizes.
Nutritional Information –
A 100-gram serving of pork sausage provides approximately 18 grams of fat, 27 grams of protein, and 0 grams of carbs, making it easy to fit into a ketogenic diet.
Thus, This ground protein is assumed to be keto-friendly since most of its contents include various types of meat including beef, pork, poultry, chicken, or turkey
Carbs in Sausage
Carbs in it come from meat products and supplementary items, like spices, binders, and produce. The key factor that could increase the carbs in sausages is the use of binders. The binders give sausages their textures and prevent them from becoming crumbly. Homemade sausages are often breadcrumbs — obviously, an absolute source of carbs. But they can also be made of potato flour, lentil flour, soy, vital wheat gluten, or even corn syrup.
If you’re following the keto diet, you may want to be cautious about adding sausage products to your low-carb diet. Avoid corn syrup as it contains more than 30g of carbs and may kick you out of the state of ketosis.
Keto Diet and Sausages
Since you cannot consume any more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day on a keto diet. Instead of carbohydrates,70-80% is the intake of fats, with the rest coming from protein
Eating large amounts of fats may seem easy at first, but it can be very difficult if you have fewer carbs available to you. However, since you’re entitled to more protein than carbs, one strategy is to incorporate meats high-fat meats into your diet.
So Foods like sausages, which can have a fat-to-protein ratio of 50-50, are ideal for Low carb and keto diets.
Considerations while buying keto-friendly sausage
When you go out shopping at your nearby grocery store, make sure you’re reviewing the nutrition labels. After determining the carb count find the grams of fiber and subtract that number from the carb count. This will help you with the exact number of carbs while you eat sausage.
Avoid sausage, like salami as it contains the highest carbs i.e. 6g carbs per 100g of serving, and contains binding ingredients like corn syrup.
So here are some low-carb sausages to incorporate into your ketogenic diet.
Low carb Sausages on Keto Diet
Not all sausages have equal macronutrients. You should check for nutrition labels of the type of sausage before you buy it. The following carbohydrate values refer to the 100 g portion of meat.
Some of the admirable kinds to shop for on a keto diet include –
- Chicken sausage ( 4g carbs)
- Pork sausage ( 0g carbs)
- Chorizo (2g carbs)
- Vienna sausage (2g carbs)
- Italian sausage ( 4g carbs)
How to incorporate sausage into your keto diet-
Meat and vegetables are essential parts of the keto diet. Trying novel recipes is the best way to ensure that you enjoy your meals while losing weight. Don’t limit yourself to breakfast, you can incorporate sausage into your other meals of the day as well. Make sausage a good protein for lunch and dinner, too!
For example, you can use Italian sausages in zucchini and meatball noodles recipes. You can incorporate smoky sausages with vegetables for an easy and quick meal.
Some Keto Sausages Recipe Ideas –
Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
- Start by browning your favorite brand of smoked or Andouille sausage.
- When your sausage is browned and slightly crisp, remove it from the skillet and set aside.
- Without rinsing or washing your pan add one tablespoon of butter, two cloves of garlic, and 4 cups of chopped cabbage.
- Give the cabbage a good stir and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, onion powder, and paprika.
- Fry the cabbage, stirring occasionally over medium heat until it reaches your desired tenderness.
- The final step is to add the cooked smoked sausage back into the skillet and stir.
Low-Carb Italian Sausage Kale Soup
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute.
- Chop Onions and Garlic.
- Add in sausage and break it up into crumbles using a wooden spoon. Add in the onions and garlic and mix well.
- Add in frozen cauliflower and frozen Kale and 3 cups of water. Close the lid on the pressure cooker.
- Cook on High pressure for 3 minutes, and allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Slowly release all remaining pressure.
- Open the Pot and Stir. Slowly add the whipping cream and stir until the soup is creamy. Mash the cauliflower for a thicker soup if desired.
- Pour into bowls, grate Parmesan cheese on top of the kale and sausage soup, and devour!
5-Ingredient Keto Sausage Balls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients until well incorporated. I find this easiest in my stand mixer.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet or line it with.
- Tightly roll the sausage balls into golf ball size balls. I had 25 each.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes.
Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole Recipe With Sausage And Cheese
- In a greased skillet over medium-high heat, cook the minced garlic for about one minute, until fragrant.
- Add the breakfast sausage. Cook for about 10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula until browned.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- If using broccoli (or other veggies), blanch them in boiling water for about 5-7 minutes, until crisp-tender. Then plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking, drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, half of the cheddar cheese, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Grease the bottom of a glass or ceramic 9×13 inch (22×33 cm) casserole dish (I use this one), or a 9×9 dish without the broccoli. Arrange the crumbled sausage evenly at the bottom of the casserole dish. (If you want to add any broccoli or pre-cooked vegetables to your casserole, mix them with the sausage at this step.)
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted.
Keto Sausage Cheddar Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine the softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and eggs. Stir until cream cheese is smooth with no clumps.
- Add almond flour, baking powder, salt, heavy cream, and melted butter.
- Stir until combined.
- Fold in the cooked sausage. Do not overmix or biscuits will be tough.
- Chill the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop spoon the biscuits out onto a greased or lined baking sheet. Lightly press the dough down.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until golden. Brush with melted butter.
Sausages are keto-friendly because they contain ground meats like beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and a handful of other ingredients added for flavor and texture. You may have several sausage recipes to add to your keto meal options. If you are on a keto diet, be sure to opt for low-carb sausages which fit into the keto diet. When shopping, check the nutritional labels and buy low-carb sausages.