A very favorite dish of the Indian Household, Suji Upma is a healthy breakfast meal made with Semolina, mustard seeds, green peas, etc. Suji Upma recipe is welcoming to all sorts of flavors and veggies and that’s why you can put in your favorite veggies to make it even more delicious for yourself.
About Suji Upma Recipe
Upma is a popular South Indian breakfast made with cream of wheat or semolina flour (called rava or suji ) veggies, spices, and herbs. This recipe is easy and versatile, you can gather the ingredients and easily make a quick and healthy breakfast for yourself. If you are a fan of South Indian food then you can try our Appam Recipe.
Suji Upma recipe is a good choice if you want to have a light breakfast and include some nutrition in your meal. Also, Suji has a good nutrition quotient and the veggies will also complement it.
How To Make Instant Suji Upma at Home
Wondering how to make Suji Upma at home, here’s a quick way to prepare Suji Upma Recipe at home-
- Take 1 cup of Rava/Suji and roast it and bring it to room temperature.
- In a pan, take 2 tablespoons of ghee, put the curry leaves and seeds and when you hear a crackling sound you can put the nuts and roast it.
- Add the onions and sauté them for your easy Suji Upma Recipe, add green chilies, ginger, and cashews.
- Add 2.5 cups of water to the mixture.
- Add salt according to your taste and 1 teaspoon of sugar (if preferred) in Suji Upma Recipe.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the Suji in 4 to 5 batches with a spoon.
- One the Suji absorbs the water allow the Suji Upma to steam for 2-3 mins.
And that’s how you learnt how to make Suji Upma Recipe.
Preparation for Suji Upma Recipe
Here are the preparatory steps, if you follow them you can make easy Suji Upma Recipe at home-
- Roast the Sooji and store it safely, it will help you to ease the process of making Suji Upma.
- Gather all the veggies, nuts that you want to put in the recipe, chop them and keep them ready so that your time for the Suji Upma Recipe can reduce.
Ingredients for Suji Upma
Here are the Ingredients for the Suji Upma Recipe-
- 1 cup of Suji
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 10 to 12 cashews
Method/Steps to Cook Suji Upma
Here you will get a detailed description of how to make Suji Upma Recipe-
Step -1 Take a pan and roast the Suji in it, keep stirring it and once it’s done keep it aside to cool down.
Step-2 The Suji grains should become fragrant and start to look dry, separate and crisp. Don’t brown the Suji.
Step 3- In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons ghee or oil. You could use sunflower oil or peanut oil as well.
Step 4- Lower the flame and add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds in it, once you hear a crackling sound it means they are getting fried.
Step 5- Now add the following ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal and urad dal (if preferred)
Step 7- Mix well and sauté for a few seconds and then add 2.5 cups water to this mixture.
Step 8- Add salt according to your taste and 1 teaspoon of sugar if you want to add some sweetness to your easy Sooji Upma Recipe.
Step 9- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the Suji in 4-5 batches , lower the flame and let Suji absorb the water ,and then steam it for 2-3 mins. Your easy Sooji Upma recipe is ready.
Any Alternate Way to make Suji Upma
Now you know how to make Suji Upma, try this other way of making the same. If you love Upma you can also check our Millet Upma Recipe.
- Take a large pan, add vegetable oil in it and heat it over medium flame. When oil bubbles start to rise, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped green chilies and ginger.
- Add peas, chana dal and urad dal in the pan. Toss the pan well to mix the ingredients well. Then add curry leaves and stir-fry for a few minutes. Also add chopped onion, carrot and tomatoes and the veggies of your choice.
- Add water in the pan and season it with salt, cover the pan and let the vegetables cook till the time a thick gravy is formed.
- Roast the Suji separately in a pan and add it gradually in the vegetables, cook for 5 mins and make sure that no lumps are formed.
- Once it’s ready garnish it with mint leaves and cashews and serve it hot.
Nutritional value in Suji Upma
Learning how to make Suji Upma is incomplete without knowing its nutritional value. Here is the nutritional value of a Suji Upma Recipe-
Pro Tips to make the best Suji Upma at HomeHere are some pro tips to help on how to make Suji Upma recipe that is healthy and tasty at home:
- Choose a fine quality of Suji and it’s better to roast the Suji beforehand and store it.
- If you want an authentic south Indian taste in your Sooji Upma Recipe, you can cook it in coconut oil.
- Since now you have learnt how to make Suji Upma, you can serve it along with Sambhar and Coconut Chutney to make it tastier. You can also have a look at our Lemon Rasam Recipe.
Health Benefits of Suji Upma
One of the best things about this easy Suji Upma recipe is that you get a great amount of nutrition from it, Let’s look precisely at the other health benefits of the Suji Upma recipe, Suji contains a good amount of iron and calcium and Suji Upma is healthy option to include in your diet, the veggies and nuts that you put according to your preference will also be of rich nutritional value.
Tips to limit the calorie in Suji Upma
Now you have learnt how to make Suji Upma, but to cook it in a healthy manner is the real task, you can avoid ghee and use a neutral oil instead, add vegetables and nuts that do that contain much fat and are suitable for your consumption.
Tips to limit the calorie in Suji Upma?
Now that you know how to make Suji Upma, you should also keep a check on the calories so that your diet remains balanced. Suji Upma Recipe contains around 250 cal per serving of 155 grams.
What’s different in the Suji Upma Recipe by Livofy?
What is the cooking time for Suji Upma?
The cooking time for Suji Upma recipe is 20-25 mins.
Is Suji Upma healthy?
Yes Suji Upma contains vegetables which have a good nutritional value and Suji is also a source of iron and calcium.
What is the right time to have Suji Upma?
The right time to have Suji Upma is as a breakfast in the morning or you can also have it as a evening snack.
Is there any side effects of eating Suji?
Sooji’s side effects can cause nausea and vomiting, indigestion and Diarrhoea, Consumption of Sooji is not suitable for people who are allergic and intolerant to gluten.
How many calories does Suji Upma have?
Suji Upma Recipe contains around 250 cal per serving of 155 grams.
How to make Sooji Upma interesting?
An easy Suji Upma recipe can be made interesting by adding the veggies, nuts of your choice, you can also experiment a little by adding sev, namkeen to make it a little spicy.
How to make Sooji Upma healthy?
Sooji Upma can be made healthy be using an alternative oil instead of ghee, add fresh vegetables so that it tastes better and healthier.
How to make Sooji Upma at home?
Suji Upma can be made easily at home, you need to gather the ingredients and chop the vegetables beforehand.